Is fioricet generic westward 787 preferable over watson 3369?

I used to take the blue westward 787, which seemed to actually do better than the other white one. I'm not sure why but that was what worked for me.

Margi2012 30 Jun 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question. I posted this question because I normally get the westward 787, and when I picked up my refill, it was a white tablet, which I don't feel is working as well as the other. Thanks again.

lynnminer 31 Jul 2012

I have always taken the blue Westward 787 and trust me when I say that the white generics (Watson or Qualitest) do NOT work for me at all. The Westward are hard to find though. The last couple of pharmacies I spoke with said they are having a difficult time getting them from the Westward manufacture. =( I hope they don't quit making them!

Yes, in my opinion, it is and here is why. While all generic medications have the exact same active ingredients as their name-branded counterparts, the stabilizers and other inactive ingredients they use can be very different; it is these ingredients that result in a different metabolism of the drug itself. Of course, metabolism also depends on people (i.e. if you have Crohn's disease or other digestive difficulties and are taking a drug that now metabolizes in your gut rather than your kidneys, this will certainly affect the process).

Kapri 23 Dec 2013

Hi kaneary, for some reason I can't read your last post about taking a capsule of fioricet, would you mind sharing with me what you said

kaneary 14 May 2014

OK, so I just had another discussion with Actavis Pharmaceuticals and they confirmed that although there are no sulfates in their generic "Watson" version, they do manufacture these generic tablets in the same facility/equipment with other sulfate-laden medications and they DO NOT test for sulfate cross contamination, so this is probably why these generics do not metabolize effectively like others. Many people have sulfate allergies and/or sensitivities so are rapid metabolizers of sulfates and can not digest any products containing even the slightest hint of them (hence those rumblies after so many foods!!! ) - this is why they are also a migraine trigger!! I explained this was EXTREMELY counter-intuitive (and stupid) for them to put such an ingredient in the "new" Fioricet capsules... wow, such idiots.

Actually the white fioricet don't work they are BULLSHIT sorry for the language but im so upset because ever since they didn't have the blue at Rite Aid this January I've been in and out the E R like crazy, and they have them nowhere I'm going to call West Ward and complain and get some answers as we all should because we all know that migraines are not to be played with

kaneary 13 Feb 2013

Kapri, the white tabs are manufactured by a totally different company - they are not Westward like your previous blue pills. They are another generic Fioricet, manufactured either by Watson or Qualitest(?). Talk to your doctor and let them know that they "do not metabolize" the same as the Westward blue tablets that you had before. I complained and my doctor made a permanent notation to the pharmacy that my prescriptions must be for the Westward blue tablets.

crh33629 11 Apr 2013

I agree with you. The white ones aren't much better than Tylenol. The blue ones work. Did you find out if West-ward is still making them.

Are the Westward ones the brand name medication? If so, then that's all that the doctor has to indicate. Can't recall exactly, something like dispense as directed? If I tell my doctor to order Westward pills, they may not be aware of the manufacturer and not do it. I've found the same problem with the pills not working nearly as well. I thought it was just me. THANK YOU to all.

kaneary 11 Apr 2013

Watson blue tabs are the original Fioricet - they actually say it on the tablet on one side and the other there is an image of 3 heads. The Westward generics are also blue, but only have "Westward 787" stamped on them. The other generics from both Watson and Qualitest are white. For some reason, it is the white tablets that I find do not work as well... You would think that the Watson tabs would work since they are the original manufacturer of Fioricet, but I guess their cheap version leaves out some magic that the blue Westwards have...

Kapri 11 Apr 2013

Exactly but the Watson blue pill works for me,, and I don't even bother to purchase the white ones waste of money

I prefer the Westward Blue pills much better.

Kapri 11 Apr 2013

So do I even over the brand name Watson, however they do give me some relief when the white ones by Qualitest do absolutely NOTHING! It's so frustrating uggghh

old=Formula C11H16N2O3 787
new= Formula C11H16N2O3  Watson

Maybe the other ingredients are a bit different.

Checking. Tessie 787

Kapri 30 Nov 2013

Yes the formula for all of them are different I believe it's the magnesium and another ingredient

Not sure what happened to post.

Prefer 787 over Watson for sure. Walmart has it or did a year ago.

Having complex migraines too often. Got hives from Topamax.

Be careful! Complex migraines mimic stroke like symptoms. They
changed my small vessels in my brain which affect white matter. Keep
eating things that increase blood flow. I don't have high blood pressure or diabetes. But, I do have low blood sugar at times and low blood pressure.
Check on line for keeping veins clear in your brain!

The inactive ingredients are indeed different between Watson 369 and the old blue Westward 787.

Watson ones have crosprovidon listed first. Magnesium is listed first on West Ward. Check it out. I bet if you increased your magnesium, you would do well!!! Magnesium is so beneficial to the nervous system. I will do that!!!

You would have to check on providone, that is listed too for Watson.

Interesting that the 787 one has Sodium Starch Glycolate in it. Happy Hunting!

Kapri 25 Jun 2013

Great info, and yes I just read a week ago about magnesium and migraines, but the concern was about the white fioricet by qualitest that don't work at all, I'm well aware of Watson (name brand) and westward 787 (generic brand) thanks

lucylovesred 30 Nov 2013

I am 64 and have been using Fioricet for years and dealing with all the above generic issues. I have spoken directly to many of the manufacturers and many pharmacists. QUALITEST is the most cheaply produced generic which is why so many insurance companies will cover it the most. I agree that WESTWARD 787 is far better than Watson 3369 and I won't even take QUALITEST. THE VERY BEST GENERIC is by a company called MikArt. It costs a little more to manufacture so it costs pharmacies a little more and they often won't carry it. Here is the solution. Find a mom n pop independent pharmacy in your area and use it. They have the freedom to order what they want. CVS, KMart, Walgreen etc. are bound by corporate policy and can only order from particular regional middleman warehouses. For years I got the MikArt product from KMart. Now they want to charge me $75.00 per refill. I now order through and independent pharmacy and each refill is $25 without even using my insurance.