Why does doxepin cause weight gain? Does it change your metabolism in any way?

Doxepin is a third generation TCA or tricyclic antidepressant. Common side effect of this drug class is weight gain which is accomplished in two different ways. Way one is prolonging metabolism and carb cravings. The second way (which is more common for third generation TCAs) is an increase in appetite due to its histamine blocking abilities. Can it cause you to gain weight? Yes. Will it? Maybe. Some people don't gain weight while others do. If you start to gain too much weight on it then ask your doctor to switch to something else.

buffy911 9 Aug 2013

Thank you so much. I saw my Doc. today and I told him I was off the ambien and sleeping so good with 10 mg of this, but I quit taking it after I saw all the people complaining of weight gain. He assured me he had numerous female patients who took a low dose to sleep and had not gained any weight. I'll go back and try it again. It was so frustrating to find something a little safer than ambien to sleep with and then see all the people complaining of side effects. Their dose was much higher also.

Thank you for responding.

Cloch 13 Aug 2013

You are welcome, it does help that you are on a lower dose.
Good luck!