Does hydrochlorothiazide cause hair loss?

Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is a prescription medication used for controlling high blood pressure and treating water retention (edema). Hair loss appears to be one of the possible side effects in people taking hydrochlorothiazide.

In clinical studies, hair loss was reported in people who took hydrochlorothiazide. Given how common hair loss is in the general population, however, it is difficult to say whether hair loss is actually caused by the medicine, genetics, other factors, or a combination of these things.

If you experience hair loss while taking hydrochlorothiazide, talk with your doc/pharmacist. Depending on how severe the hair loss is, there are things that he/she may be able to do. If your symptoms continue to be bothersome or if your doc believes the medicine is causing your hair loss, he/she may recommend trying another medicine to treat your condition.

Take care, best wishes!

honda1 20 Jan 2012

Saw my doctor this week for hair loss. If you have been real sick it can cause hair loss. And it can take 6 months to see improvement. Doctor put me on 1000 mg of Biotin. I am on warfarin. The Biotin is safe to take. Dr. said it would take 6 months from now to see a difference. Good Luck.

Rajive Goel 20 Jan 2012

Thanks for sharing the info.

Hi, I am on this medication and from time to time I have more hair that comes out, but it soon stops. It is hard to tell if it is this medication alone that causes the hair to come out more, but I have a feeling it is a combination of the different medications I am on and how sick I am at the time of the hair loss. Hope things work out for you and take care, Liz.