Does Hydrochlorothiazide, 25 mg., cause hair loss?

Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is a prescription medication used for controlling high blood pressure and treating water retention (edema). It is sold as a generic as well as under several brand names, including Esidrix, HydroDIURIL, Microzide, and Oretic. Hair loss appears to be one of the possible side effects in people taking hydrochlorothiazide.

In clinical studies, hair loss was reported in people who took hydrochlorothiazide. Given how common hair loss is in the general population, however, it is difficult to say whether hair loss is actually caused by the medicine, genetics, other factors, or a combination of these things.