What is the difference between Lorazepam and Clonazepam?

They are in the same "family"... benzodiazepines..that is... Valium like drugs..but they are two different compounds I believe clonazepam is longer acting... anti anxiety meds

Though both are benzodiazepines, the two drugs are in different classes. Clonazepam is considered a long-acting benzodiazepine, with a rapid onset time of one to four hours and a half-life of approximately 34 hours, while lorazepam is a short-acting benzodiazepine with the same approximate onset time but a half-life of about 15 hours.

I found this:Although most benzodiazepines are used interchangeably, some are most commonly used for certain conditions.

Alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), chlorazepate (Tranxene), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), and midazolam are used for anxiety disorders;
clonazepam (Klonopin), clorazepate (Tranxene), and diazepam (Valium) are used for seizure disorders;
estazolam, flurazepam, quazepam (Doral), temazepam (Restoril), and triazolam (Halcion) are used for insomnia;
midazolam, lorazepam (Ativan), and diazepam (Valium) are used in anesthesia;
diazepam (Valium) also is used for muscle relaxation;
chlordiazepoxide (Librium) is used for alcohol withdrawal.

13 days ago

Most benzodiazepines do the same job with relatively minor variations between them. Some do help anxiety better than others. Some help with sleeping issues better than others. Some are far more potent than others. And some have long half lives while some don't. Take Librium for example, the original and oldest benzo, and it's close companion Valium which was marketed only a few years after Librium. These two medicines have very long half lives. Whereas Ativan has a short half life. Also, going a little further, Librium is used nowadays primarily for alcohol withdrawal symptoms. These benzos release the calming chemical from the brain known as gaba for short. Since Ethanol releases large amounts of gaba, when one attempts to stop drinking, gaba levels drop. This is very dangerous. Hand shaking, cold sweats, vomiting, hallucinations, and seisures can occur. Benzodiazepines practically hault these awful alcohol withdrawal symptoms, which can be fatal in their tracks.

Lorazepam (Ativan) and Clonazepam (Klonopin) are both strong benzodiazepines with fairly short half lives.
Clonazepam has a half life of about 8-10 hours, while Lorazepam is slightly shorter with a 4-6 hour half life.
Compared to the longest acting half life benzo such as Valium (Diazepam) which is 80-200 hour half life, both are 10-20 times stronger. Strength is measured in half-life, molecular structure and dependence on the GABA receptors.

To me, that's the difference: Clonazepam helps a whole lot as sleeping aid (for many years) but Lorazepam helps only up to the second sleepness night, than it causes me even more insomnia but each person reacts differently to certain drugs. Sad to say that in the country I leave now I can not buy Clonazepam :(

carebearfav 15 Apr 2015

What country do you live in? In the states just go to the doc for anxiety issues and say ativan isnt working can i try Clonazepam