What is the difference between buffered and enteric coated aspirin?

If you buffer something in chemistry, you add something that takes away the acid. That is what is being done in buffered aspirin. Enteric coating is a hard coating that makes it take longer for the pill to dissolve so that it doesn't dissolve until later on in the digestive tract where it will do less damage.

Aspirin that is buffered means that an antacid such as calcium carbonate is added to the medication. Buffering a medication means that you are bringing the pH of a medication as close to neutral as possible.

An enteric coating is a special coating applied to aspirin that prevents release and absorption of the active ingredients until they pass through the stomach and reach the small intestine. Enteric means, of or relating to the small intestine.