Constipation - What is the difference between colace and miralax?

Anonymous

Colace:
This medication helps fluids to mix with the stool to keep them from becoming hard or dry. It is used to treat constipation.

Miralax
This medication is used to treat occasional constipation. It works by holding water in the stool to soften the stool and increases the number of bowel movements. It is known as an osmotic-type laxative.

myhealthsux 17 Jul 2010

For what it's worth the G-I guy that I saw yesterday said Colace is worthless. I started MiraLax 3 months ago. My stool became loose, which was good but then the stool started to harden. I increased the dose, per my old G-I dr and constipation set in. Both drs said take it only in the AM. I'm getting a 3rd opinion