Ciprofloxacin - Have cipro for UTI. Expired year ago? Safe to take?

I would say the chance that it would work is risky. Why do you have cipro anyway? If its left over after the infection, it shouldn't be you should have taken all of them at the time. And if you have less then enough to do a full course its not a good idea to take them anyway. See a doc.

I've been told by a pharmacist that the medication wouldn't be dangerous to use but would be less effective. Urinary tract infections lead to bladder infections which lead to kidney infections. Lose your kidneys and you're on dialysis then death. Wouldn't risk it - get the prescription filled for the Cipro and ditch the expired ones. Regards - ElizaJane

hello adoyle2000,
I have yrs ago, had meds that I didn't throw out/after I was finished my dose I would just forget to throw them out of course I kept all my meds in a lock box so no one could get a hold of them for u never no what reaction another person will have on a med that works well for u... back to your ? I in my opinion would call a pharmacist and tell them the experation date, and what they were being taken for, but to my knowledge, from what I have heard, after a yr, they tell u to throw the meds out for they lose there potency for one, and I don't no what else, but guess what I sure were be on the phone finding out before I took one, but me being me, I wouldn't after a yr... good luck... call pharmacy so u don't regret a mistake that u could have clarified by a single call... angel1662

Actually one needs to be sure it really is a UTI. I recently had what I thought was one but it turned out to be bladder stones. Hurt exactly the same, same urgency and so forth. Get the urine test to be sure. Not all bacteria are killed with this antibiotic.

It takes a full round of Cipro to get rid of the infection. Less than that leaves you open to a resistant bacteria. Then the scenario told above by another writer can be really possible. Never worth risking your kidneys.

Anonymous

Provided that you have a known UTI, and you have enough Cipro to cure the infection, there is nothing wrong with the medication. I posted a question/article about how long prescription medications last, as they did a study.. The answer was many years, provided that the medicine has been kept in a cool dark place, and hasn't been compromised. Makes me angry that I have thrown away so many bottles of good medicine.

Anonymous 12 Nov 2012

Hello E. Hang in there. Hope you have a good one. I do not friend (simply my own way of navigating through the site) but do understand. Say hello to that governor :-0) (I am a die hard republican but lean more to the center) There you go! Take care now

Anonymous 12 Nov 2012

Hey P, many thanks. Glad two people back me :). I totally understand your politics... both of them. Actually, I started following same here on DC a few months back. About that gov though...

By Mistake(oversight)I have taken 500 mg tablets of cipro,twice daily for 5 days, expired nearly an year ago, for paranychia and have personally found it to be quite effective without any side effects. I would like to know if anyone else had any side effects using expired cipro.