Can you get bacterial vaginitis from oral sex?

A healthy vagina normally contains many microorganisms; some of the common ones are Lactobacillus crispatus and Lactobacillus jensenii. Lactobacilli, particularly hydrogen peroxide-producing species, appear to help prevent other vaginal microorganisms from multiplying to a level where they cause symptoms. The microorganisms involved in BV are very diverse, but include Gardnerella vaginalis, Mobiluncus, Bacteroides, and Mycoplasma. A change in normal bacterial flora including the reduction of lactobacillus, which may be due to the use of antibiotics or pH imbalance, allows more resistant bacteria to gain a foothold and multiply.

Anonymous 2 Dec 2011

Wow Rajive, great response my friend! Can't hit comment and thumbs you up, won't let me, however, I give you 2 thumbs up by text and a pox on whomever thumbs it down unless it was accidental. And you get my special "getting hammered award," for excellent technical advice! Its a good thing. Ask Thor, I named it for him. I also would like to thank you for the detail answer you gave on what meds treat gas in the intestinal tract, I actually needed that to argue with my boyfriend one night, haha. Have you hear anything from ChristineATU. I keep writing to her, no response. Thanks, patti

Rajive Goel 3 Dec 2011

Thanks Patti, please when you talk with Christine next give her my regards, I haven't heard from her since quite some time.

Take care, bets wishes!

Yes, it is possible but as Rajive said, it happens when the balance of bacterial flora is off. Bacteria introduced by the mouth (which is one of the most bacterial laden areas of the body) can over grow in a vagina that doesnt have a good bacterial balance which allows the bad bacterias to grow. Vaginal pH also effects the balance of good and bad bacterial flora in the vagina.

Any time there is oral sex there is always he risk of getting a vaginitis due to the bacteria in the mouth and saliva... again as Dzoo said and rajive... ph of the vagina and the normal flora plays a roll in this. The bacteria entered from the mouth could upset the normal bacterial flora and thus could cause a vaginitis. Also, if wearing wet panties afterwards allows another warm medium for bacterial growth. I hope this helps along with the excellent comments made by rajive and Dzoo. Be well and just take the precautions necessary to prevent the vaginitis from occurring. Pup