What antibiotic is used for an abcessed tooth? Is Azithromycin ever used?

Dear TxGramma,
Yes, Azithromycin is used for dental infections and abscesses, among other things. If you're talking about using some old leftover med you have though, use caution. Expired medication may not be safe to use and it may have undergone chemical changes due to its age. Also, if the entire prescription isn't there, you'd be taking it incomplete and could seriously worsen rather than improve the condition. You should be able to get an antibiotic for dental pain at an urgent care center, but that won't solve the problem. The tooth must be treated by filling, root canal or extraction. Good luck. I know it must be painful.
Regards,
4N Substances u

Hello. The tooth needs to be tended right away. Treating the infection just won't do it. If the tooth is cracked or needs pulling, the infection doesn't go away. It may actually be more than one tooth infected. It can also destroy bone and cause major problems.

Untreated tooth with an abscess can lead to a brain abscess. Extremely serious and potentially life threatening. There are good dentists out there and painless procedures. Not like it was when I was a kid. Please take care of this soon. Karen