Can amoxicillin be used to treat the flu virus?

Amoxicillin and other antibiotics are not effective against the flu but are sometimes used if secondary bacterial infections happen as a result of flu but no, antibiotics wont do anything against flu itself. Flu is a virus and antibiotics treat bacterial infections only.

Antibiotics are never indicated for viruses. Antibiotics should be used only when necessary to treat bacterial infections as antibiotic resistance is a serious and growing health concern. Unfortunately viruses need to run their course, as miserable as they may be but there are antiviral meds to help ease flu symtoms by making symptoms milder, helping you recover quicker as well as prevent from serious flu-induced complications like pneumonia. If you have unfortunately gotten the flu you can call your PCP for recommendations. And I've heard this strain of flu is very unpleasant, so my heart goes out to you if you have contracted it and sending healing thoughts your way!!!