If allergic to penicillin can I take Levaquin?

Yes, it is considered safe to take Levaquin if you are allergic to penicillin.

Levaquin (levofloxacin) is in a group of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones (same class as ciprofloxacin). Levaquin fights bacteria in the body.

Levaquin is used to treat bacterial infections of the skin, sinuses, kidneys, bladder, or prostate. It is also used to treat bacterial infections that cause bronchitis or pneumonia, and to treat people who have been exposed to anthrax.

C.E. 1 May 2012

I was prescribed Levaquin for pneumonia. I had asked for K-flex as I knew it was safe for me to take. She said she wouldn't give me K-flex as she only prescribed it for bladder/kidney infections! I am allergic to 5 different antibiotics, so, taking this new medication concerned me. I reluctantly agreed and have had serious pain and memory problems since taking the medication for 5 days. This is frightening as a pharmacist told me the side affects last for up to one year and that it is a progressive medication (side affects can become worse over time). I know this medicine can be very helpful for many people, but are the side affects worth taking the chance of experiencing its horrible side affects? Take care. C.E.

This medication has a lot of side effects and over the counter medications i would only take it if prescribed by a doctor who knows your medical history and you should mention any other medications you are taking.

You may be fine, but I strongly suggest taking something else. Levaquin has been Black Boxed (severe warning) re the gross tendon problems it can cause, and I am suffering so badly with many painful symptoms from taking this medicine for only 5 days. If you have side affects, a pharmacist told me that they can remain for up to one year after beginning Levaquin. Please let me know if you are experiencing side affects. Take Care C.E.