Prevnar Side Effects
Generic name: pneumococcal 7-valent vaccine
Note: This document contains side effect information about pneumococcal 7-valent vaccine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Prevnar.
Some side effects of Prevnar may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
Applies to pneumococcal 7-valent vaccine: intramuscular suspension
Along with its needed effects, pneumococcal 7-valent vaccine (the active ingredient contained in Prevnar) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking pneumococcal 7-valent vaccine:Symptoms of allergic reaction
- Difficulty with breathing or swallowing
- itching, especially of the feet or hands
- reddening of the skin, especially around the ears
- swelling of the eyes, face, or inside of the nose
- unusual tiredness or weakness (sudden and severe)
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking pneumococcal 7-valent vaccine:Less common
- Fever over 39 °C (102.2 °F)
- Collapse or shock-like state
Some side effects of pneumococcal 7-valent vaccine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Decreased appetite
- fever of less than 39 °C (102.2 °F)
- redness, soreness, hard lump, swelling, or pain at the injection site
- restless sleep
- Skin rash or hives
More Prevnar resources
- Prevnar Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Prevnar Consumer Overview
- Prevnar Intramuscular Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Prevnar MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- Pneumococcal 7-Valent Conjugate Vaccine Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This drug information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.