Gadavist Side Effects
Generic Name: gadobutrol
Note: This page contains information about the side effects of gadobutrol. Some of the dosage forms included on this document may not apply to the brand name Gadavist.
Not all side effects for Gadavist may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
For the Consumer
Applies to gadobutrol: intravenous solution
In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by gadobutrol (the active ingredient contained in Gadavist). In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking gadobutrol, check with your doctor or nurse immediately:Rare
- Bleeding, blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of the skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, itching, lumps, numbness, pain, rash, redness, scarring, soreness, stinging, swelling, tenderness, tingling, ulceration, or warmth at the injection site
- blurred vision
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
- difficult or labored breathing
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- feeling of warmth
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- hives or welts, itching, or skin rash
- loss of consciousness
- paleness of the skin
- redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest
- redness of the skin
- tightness in the chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- Bluish color of the fingernails, lips, skin, palms, or nail beds
- burning sensation
- burning, dry, or itching eyes
- chest pain
- deep bone pain
- difficulty with swallowing
- discharge or excessive tearing
- increased sweating
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- muscle stiffness or weakness
- no blood pressure or pulse
- no breathing
- noisy breathing
- redness, pain, or swelling of the eye, eyelid, or inner lining of the eyelid
- skin rash, swelling, hardness, tightness, burning, itching, or red or dark patches
- slow or irregular breathing
- stiff joints or trouble moving
- stopping of the heart
- swelling of the mouth or throat
Some of the side effects that can occur with gadobutrol may not need medical attention. As your body adjusts to the medicine during treatment these side effects may go away. Your health care professional may also be able to tell you about ways to reduce or prevent some of these side effects. If any of the following side effects continue, are bothersome or if you have any questions about them, check with your health care professional:Less common
- Change in sense of smell
- change in taste
- dry mouth
- feeling hot or cold
- loss of taste
- unusually warm skin
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to gadobutrol: intravenous solution
Hypersensitivity side effects have included anaphylactoid shock, circulatory collapse, increased blood pressure, chest pain, respiratory arrest, bronchospasm, cyanosis, oropharyngeal swelling, laryngeal edema, face edema, angioedema, conjunctivitis, eyelid edema, hyperhidrosis, cough, sneezing, and burning sensation.
Nervous system side effects have included headache, dysgeusia, parosmia, dizziness, paresthesia, loss of consciousness, and convulsions.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included nausea, vomiting and dry mouth.
Dermatologic side effects have included erythema, rash (including generalized, macular, papular, pruritic) and pruritus.
Cardiovascular side effects have included hypotension, flushing, pallor, tachycardia, palpitation, and cardiac arrest
Renal side effects have included nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (NSF).
Respiratory side effects have included dyspnea.
More about Gadavist (gadobutrol)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.