Pronunciation: IN-ter-FEER-ahn AL-fuh
- Solution 5 million units/mL
These small proteins bind to specific cell membranes and initiate complex sequences of intracellular events, including induction of certain enzymes that produce antiproliferative action against tumor cells and inhibit viral replication in virus-infected cells.
Indications and Usage
Treatment of condyloma acuminatum.
Known hypersensitivity to human interferon alpha proteins or any component of the product; anaphylactic sensitivity to mouse immunoglobulin, egg protein, or neomycin.
Dosage and AdministrationCondyloma Acuminatum
Intralesional 250,000 units (0.05 mL) (max recommended dose per treatment session) injected into base of each wart. Administer twice weekly for up to 8 wk.
Store in refrigerator. (36° to 46°F). Do not freeze or shake.
None well documented.
Laboratory Test Interactions
None well documented.
Chest pain; hypotension; vasovagal response.
Headache; depression; fatigue; malaise; dizziness; insomnia; sleepiness.
Soreness at injection site; generalized pruritus; sweating.
Blurred vision; ocular rotation pain; sinus drainage; sore mouth; stomatitis; mucositis.
Nausea; vomiting; dyspepsia; diarrhea; anorexia; dry mouth.
Altered hemoglobin levels, WBC, platelet count, GGT.
Altered AST, alkaline phosphatase, total bilirubin.
Fever; chills; myalgias; arthralgia; back pain; flu-like syndrome.
Category C .
Safety and efficacy not established in children younger than 18 yr of age.
Debilitating medical conditions
Fever and flu-like symptoms associated with drug may exacerbate medical conditions (eg, CV disease, pulmonary disease, diabetes mellitus with ketoacidosis, coagulation disorders, severe myelodepression, seizures).
Interferon products are not interchangeable because of manufacturing processes, strength, and type.
- Stress importance of returning for follow-up blood tests.
- Teach infection control measures, bleeding precautions, and energy conservation measures.
- Emphasize importance of maintaining well-hydrated state.
- Caution patient not to change brand of drug because dosages vary among different forms.
- Advise patient to take medication at bedtime if flu-like symptoms occur, and to use acetaminophen as needed.
- Instruct patient to report the following symptoms that may represent adverse reactions: hives, swollen ankles, dyspnea, chest pain, noisy breathing.
- Caution patient to take safety precautions and not to perform activities that require mental alertness if decreased mental status or dizziness occur.
Copyright © 2009 Wolters Kluwer Health.
More Interferon Alfa-n3 resources
- interferon alfa-n3 Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- interferon alfa-n3 solution MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)