This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
Sutures may need to be removed in 3 to 14 days depending on the location of your wound.
AFTER YOU LEAVE:
Care for your wound:
- Clean your wound as directed. Carefully wash your wound with soap and water. Pat the area dry with a clean towel.
- Protect your wound. Your wound can swell, bleed, or split open if it is stretched or bumped. You may need to wear a bandage that supports your wound until it is completely healed.
- Minimize your scar. Use sunblock if your wound is exposed to the sun. Apply it every day after the sutures are removed. This will help prevent skin discoloration.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
You may need to return in 3 to 5 days if the sutures are on your face. Sutures on your scalp need to be removed after 7 to 14 days. Sutures over joints may remain in place up to 14 days. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever and chills.
- Your wound is red, warm, swollen, or leaking pus.
- There is a bad smell coming from your wound.
- You have increased pain in the wound area.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- Your wound splits open.
- You suddenly cannot move your injured joint.
- You have sudden numbness around your wound.
- You see red streaks coming from your wound.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.