Narcissistic Personality Disorder
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a long-term, mental health condition. NPD causes you to think that you are more important than other people. You need to be the center of attention and to be admired by others. You want to control the people and events in your life. It is hard for you to stop your behaviors, even when you hurt others. You have trouble asking for help and trusting other people. These thoughts and behaviors cause problems with your relationships and daily activities.
- Medicines can help decrease anxiety or depression and make you feel more stable.
- Take your medicine as directed. Call your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
You may need to return regularly to discuss your thoughts and feelings. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Go to individual or group therapy:
You may need any of the following types of therapy:
- Psychodynamic therapy helps increase your ability to see yourself clearly. It also helps you understand your emotions and how you interact with others.
- Cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) helps you understand why you are narcissistic. Your therapist will help you learn how to cope with your disorder.
- Family therapy helps you and your family communicate and teaches your family how they can best support you.
- Group therapy helps you improve your attitudes and behaviors in a group of people with similar problems.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You are depressed.
- You begin to drink alcohol, or you drink more than usual.
- You take illegal drugs.
- You take medicines that are not prescribed to you.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have severe depression.
- You want to hurt yourself or others.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Learn more about Narcissistic Personality Disorder (Aftercare Instructions)
Micromedex® Care Notes: