This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Low Fiber Diet
What is a low-fiber diet?
A low-fiber diet includes only foods that have small amounts of fiber. Fiber is the part of fruits, vegetables, and grains that is not broken down by your body. Fiber keeps your bowel movements regular. Your caregiver may ask you to follow a low-fiber diet to decrease your bowel movements. This can help decrease irritation in your digestive tract and allow it to heal. You may need to follow this diet after surgery on your intestines. You may also need to follow this diet if you have Crohn disease, diverticulitis, or ulcerative colitis.
What foods can I include?
- Cream of wheat and finely ground grits
- White bread, white pasta, and white rice
- Canned and well-cooked fruit without skins or seeds, and juice without pulp
- Canned and well-cooked vegetables without skins or seeds, and vegetable juice
- Cow's milk, lactose-free milk, soy milk, and rice milk
- Yogurt, cottage cheese, and sherbet
- Eggs, poultry (such as chicken and turkey), fish, and tender, ground, well-cooked beef
- Tofu and smooth nut butters, such as peanut butter
- Broth and strained soups made of low-fiber foods
What foods should I avoid?
- Whole grains, and breads and cereals made with whole grains
- Dried fruit, fresh fruit with skin, and fruit pulp
- Raw vegetables
- Cooked greens, such as spinach
- Tough meat and meat with gristle
- Legumes, such as pinto beans and lentils
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.