Implanted Venous Access Port
What is an implanted venous access port?
Implanted Venous Access Port Care Guide
- Implanted Venous Access Port
- Implanted Venous Access Port Aftercare Instructions
- Implanted Venous Access Port Discharge Care
- Implanted Venous Access Port Inpatient Care
- Implanted Venous Access Port Precare
- Implanted Venous Access Ports
- Implanted Venous Access Ports Aftercare Instructions
- Implanted Venous Access Ports Discharge Care
- Implanted Venous Access Ports Inpatient Care
- Implanted Venous Access Ports Precare
- En Espanol
An implanted venous access port is a device used to give treatments and take blood. It may also be called a central venous access device (CVAD). The port is a small container that is placed under your skin, usually in your upper chest. A port can also be placed in your arm or abdomen. The port is attached to a catheter that enters a large vein.
Why do I need an implanted venous access port?
- You need long-term IV treatments , such as chemotherapy, antibiotics, or a bone marrow transplant. A port allows you to get these treatments at home, in a clinic, or in the hospital.
- You need frequent blood transfusions or blood tests. You can receive blood transfusions through your port. Caregivers can also collect blood samples.
- Your veins need to be protected. Certain types of IV medicines, such as chemotherapy, can damage your veins and skin. You may get a port if your veins are small or damaged. Your skin and veins are protected when you get the medicines through a port instead.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2013 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.