This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
How To Use A Bed Board
What is a bed board?
- A bed board is a large, flat board that you put under the mattress to make the mattress firmer. It also keeps the mattress from sagging. A bed board is usually made of a solid piece of wood or wood slats inside a canvas cover. Another type of bed board has hinges, so it can be folded.
- You can buy or rent a bed board at medical supply stores. There are lightweight, folding bed boards that can be taken when you travel. Also, you can make one using 1 inch (2.5 cm) plywood. The board needs to be as long and as wide as the mattress. Sand the board to make it smooth so it does not damage the mattress.
Why do I need a bed board?
You may need a bed board if you have a back injury or arthritis. A bed board can help you feel more comfortable while you are in bed.
How is the bed board put on the bed?
Ask another person to help you. The following steps may help:
- Take the sheets off the bed.
- Lift the top mattress and place it aside.
- Place the board on top of the box springs (bottom mattress).
- Put the top mattress on top of the board.
- Make sure the board is not sticking out from under the mattress.
- Put the sheets back on the bed.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.