WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
A colonoscopy is a procedure to examine the inside of your colon (intestine) with a scope. Polyps or tissue growths may have been removed during your colonoscopy. It is normal to feel bloated and to have some abdominal discomfort. You should be passing gas. If you have hemorrhoids or you had polyps removed, you may have a small amount of bleeding.
AFTER YOU LEAVE:
Seek care immediately if:
- You have a large amount of bright red blood in your bowel movements.
- Your abdomen is hard and firm and you have severe pain.
- You have sudden trouble breathing.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You develop a rash or hives.
- You have a fever within 24 hours of your procedure. .
- You have not had a bowel movement for 3 days after your procedure.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
- Do not lift, strain, or run for 3 days after your procedure.
- Rest after your procedure. You have been given medicine to relax you. Do not drive or make important decisions until the day after your procedure. Return to your normal activity as directed.
- Relieve gas and discomfort from bloating by lying on your right side with a heating pad on your abdomen. You may need to take short walks to help the gas move out. Eat small meals until bloating is relieved.
If you had polyps removed:
For 7 days after your procedure:
- Do not take aspirin.
- Do not go on long car rides.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.