This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Bone Marrow Biopsy
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
A bone marrow biopsy is a procedure to remove a small amount of bone marrow from inside your bone. The sample is tested for disease or infection.
AFTER YOU LEAVE:
- Pain medicine: You may be given a prescription medicine to take away or decrease pain. Do not wait until the pain is severe before you take this medicine.
- Take your medicine as directed. Call your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
- Get plenty of rest: Rest for the remainder of the day after your biopsy.
- Use ice: Ice helps decrease swelling and pain. Use an ice pack or put crushed ice in a plastic bag. Cover the ice pack with a towel. Place it on your biopsy area for 15 to 20 minutes every hour for 24 to 48 hours, or as directed.
- Clean your wound: Keep your wound covered and dry for 24 hours. After 24 hours, carefully wash the incisions with soap and water. Dry the area and put on new, clean bandages as directed. Change your bandages when they get wet or dirty.
Contact your primary healthcare provider if:
- You have increased bruising around your biopsy area.
- Your biopsy area is red, swollen, or draining pus.
- Your skin is itchy, swollen, or has a rash.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- You have a fever.
- You have chills, a cough, or feel weak and achy.
- You have severe pain in the biopsy area for more than 24 hours.
- Blood soaks through your bandage.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.