UPCal D powder
Generic Name: calcium citrate with vitamin d (KAL-see-um SIT-rate/VYE-ta-min D)
Brand Name: UPCal D
UPCal D powder is used for:
Treating or preventing calcium deficiency. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
UPCal D powder is a dietary supplement. It works by providing extra calcium to the body.
Do NOT use UPCal D powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in UPCal D powder
- you have high blood calcium levels or high blood vitamin D levels
- you take aluminum salts (eg, aluminum chloride)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using UPCal D powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with UPCal D powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have high blood phosphate levels or high levels of calcium in the urine
- if you have dehydration, heart problems, hardening of the arteries, kidney problems, kidney stones, or sarcoidosis
- if you are taking digoxin
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with UPCal D powder. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Iron, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), sodium polystyrene sulfonate, tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), thyroid hormones, or verapamil because their effectiveness may be decreased by UPCal D powder
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if UPCal D powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use UPCal D powder:
Use UPCal D powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take UPCal D powder by mouth as directed on the product label.
- Do not take an antacid that has aluminum in it within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take UPCal D powder.
- If you miss a dose of UPCal D powder, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use UPCal D powder.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use UPCal D powder unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take UPCal D powder before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Lab tests, including serum calcium levels, may be performed while you use UPCal D powder. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- UPCal D powder should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using UPCal D powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use UPCal D powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of UPCal D powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); loss of appetite; nausea; severe or persistent constipation; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; delirium; loss of consciousness; mood or mental changes.Proper storage of UPCal D powder:
Store UPCal D powder at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep UPCal D powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about UPCal D powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- UPCal D powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take UPCal D powder or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about UPCal D powder. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to UPCal D powder. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using UPCal D powder.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about UPCal D (calcium / vitamin d)
- Other brands: Caltrate 600+D, Citracal + D, Calcium 600 D, Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D, More (27) »