Generic Name: magnesium (mag-NEE-zee-um)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Magnesium is used for:
Treating low magnesium levels or maintaining the proper amount of magnesium in the body.
Magnesium is an essential mineral. It works by adding magnesium to your body if your magnesium levels are low.
Do NOT use magnesium if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in magnesium
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using magnesium:
Some medical conditions may interact with magnesium. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have appendicitis, diarrhea, a blockage of your intestines, heart problems, or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with magnesium. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by magnesium
- Bisphosphonates (eg, risedronate), digoxin, penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because their effectiveness may be decreased by magnesium
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if magnesium may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use magnesium:
Use magnesium as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take magnesium by mouth with food.
- If you miss a dose of magnesium and are using it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use magnesium.
Important safety information:
- Lab tests, including magnesium levels, may be performed while you use magnesium. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Magnesium should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using magnesium while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of magnesium:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; nausea; slow reflexes; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; dizziness; flushing; loss of consciousness; muscle weakness; severe drowsiness; slow heartbeat.Proper storage of magnesium:
Store magnesium at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep magnesium out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about magnesium, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Magnesium is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take magnesium or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about magnesium. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to magnesium. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using magnesium.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about magnesium chloride
- Other brands: Mag-SR