Generic Name: kaolin/pectin (KAY-oh-lin/PEK-tin)
Brand Name: Kapectolin
Kaolin/pectin is used for:
Kaolin/pectin is an adsorbent and protectant combination. It works by absorbing excess fluid and reducing intestinal movement.
Do NOT use kaolin/pectin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in kaolin/pectin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using kaolin/pectin:
Some medical conditions may interact with kaolin/pectin. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are dehydrated or you have diarrhea that is caused by an infection (eg, dysentery)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with kaolin/pectin. However, no specific interactions with kaolin/pectin are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if kaolin/pectin may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use kaolin/pectin:
Use kaolin/pectin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before using.
- Do not take other medicines within 2 hours of taking kaolin/pectin.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking kaolin/pectin is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of kaolin/pectin and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use kaolin/pectin.
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not improve within 2 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Use kaolin/pectin with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use kaolin/pectin with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 4 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking kaolin/pectin, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using kaolin/pectin during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using kaolin/pectin, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of kaolin/pectin:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever; stomach pain or swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of kaolin/pectin:
Store kaolin/pectin at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep kaolin/pectin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about kaolin/pectin, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kaolin/pectin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take kaolin/pectin or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about kaolin/pectin. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to kaolin/pectin. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using kaolin/pectin.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.