Escavite chewable tablets
Generic Name: multivitamin with iron and fluoride (muhl-tee-VYE-ta-min/EYE-urn/FLOR-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Escavite and Poly-Vi-Flor/Iron
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
Escavite chewable tablets is used for:
Treating or preventing low levels of vitamins and minerals in the body. It is also used to prevent cavities in children when the amount of fluoride in the water supply is too low.
Escavite chewable tablets is a vitamin and mineral supplement. It works by providing extra vitamins and minerals to the body when you do not get enough from your diet. Fluoride strengthens the teeth and decreases the effects of acid and bacteria on the teeth.
Do NOT use Escavite chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Escavite chewable tablets
- your drinking water has a fluoride content greater than 0.6 parts per million (ppm)
- you are taking acitretin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Escavite chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Escavite chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have blood problems (eg, anemia), joint pain, severe kidney problems, or stomach or bowel ulcers
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Escavite chewable tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Acitretin because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Escavite chewable tablets
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), methyldopa, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Escavite chewable tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Escavite chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Escavite chewable tablets:
Use Escavite chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Escavite chewable tablets by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Chew Escavite chewable tablets well before you swallow it.
- Avoid taking Escavite chewable tablets with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Escavite chewable tablets.
- Do not take an antacid within several hours before or after you take Escavite chewable tablets.
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, low blood platelets, osteoporosis) should not be taken at the same time as Escavite chewable tablets; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of Escavite chewable tablets should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Escavite chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Escavite chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Escavite chewable tablets unless your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Notify your dentist if your teeth become spotted or stained.
- Escavite chewable tablets may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Escavite chewable tablets has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- The appropriate dose of Escavite chewable tablets depends on the CHILD's age and the amount of fluoride in the drinking water. Talk with your doctor if you have questions about the appropriate dose for your child or the amount of fluoride in your drinking water.
- Escavite chewable tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 4 years old; they may have an increased risk of choking with Escavite chewable tablets.
- PREGNANCY and BREASTFEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Escavite chewable tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if Escavite chewable tablets is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Escavite chewable tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Escavite chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; darkened or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; extreme thirst; increased drooling; muscle weakness; nausea; paleness of the skin; seizures; shaking; shallow, rapid breathing; stomach pain; vomiting; weak or fast heartbeat.Proper storage of Escavite chewable tablets:
Store Escavite chewable tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in the original container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Escavite chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Escavite chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Escavite chewable tablets is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Escavite chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Escavite chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Escavite chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Escavite chewable tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Escavite (multivitamin with iron and fluoride)
- Other brands: Tri Vites with Fluoride and Iron, Tri-Vi-Flor with Iron, Poly-Vi-Flor with Iron, Poly Vitamin with Fluoride with Iron, More (3) »