Generic Name: methyltestosterone (METH-il-tes-TOS-ter-one)
Brand Name: Examples include Android and Testred
Android is used for:
Replacing the hormone testosterone when the body does not make enough and stimulating puberty. Treating advanced breast cancer in women who are 1 to 5 years postmenopause or in premenopausal women with a hormone-sensitive tumor.
Android is an androgen hormone. It works by increasing the level of testosterone in the blood.
Do NOT use Android if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Android
- you are or may become pregnant
- you are a male with cancer of the prostate or breast
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Android:
Some medical conditions may interact with Android. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of blood clots; diabetes; an enlarged prostate; heart, kidney, or liver disease; or liver cancer
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Android. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), carbamazepine, insulin, or oxyphenbutazone because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Android
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Android may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Android:
Use Android as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Android by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you miss a dose of Android, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Android.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Android before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - Android may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Android has not been shown to be safe and effective for the enhancement of athletic performance.
- Blood clots have happened in patients using testosterone products such as Android. Tell your doctor if you have ever had a blood clot. Call your doctor right away if you have symptoms of a blood clot (eg, swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm; chest pain; shortness of breath; coughing up blood).
- Serious and sometimes fatal liver problems have happened with medicines like this one. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems, like dark urine, feeling tired, not getting hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Large doses of Android may lower your sperm count. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Android may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Android.
- Lab tests, including urine and blood calcium levels, liver function tests, bone growth and development, and blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Android. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Android with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially enlarged prostate and prostate cancer.
- Android should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Android may speed up bone development in children, which could result in children not reaching their full growth potential. Talk with your doctor for more information.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Android if you are pregnant. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Android.
Possible side effects of Android:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Abnormal hair growth; abnormal skin sensations; anxiety; baldness; breast growth; changes in sexual desire; general body discomfort; headache; mood changes.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in skin color; depression; nausea; new lumps or pain; swelling of the ankles, feet, or body; trouble urinating; unusual bruising or bleeding; vomiting; weight gain; for men, frequent or persistent erections; for women, acne, changes in menstrual periods, deepening of the voice, hoarseness, or more hair on the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Android:
Store Android at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Android out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Android, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Android is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Android or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Android. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Android. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Android.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.