Acetylcholine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Acetylcholine: Miochol-E, Miochol, Miochol-E System Pak, Miochol-E/Steri-Tags
Acetylcholine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
No information is available on the use of acetylcholine ophthalmic drops during breastfeeding. Because of its short half-life, it is not likely to reach the bloodstream of the infant or cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Possible Effects on Lactation
Relevant published information in nursing mothers was not found as of the revision date. In animals, cholinergic drugs increase oxytocin release, and have variable effects on serum prolactin. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
1. Clarke G, Fall CH, Lincoln DW, Merrick LP. Effects of cholinoceptor antagonists on the suckling-induced and experimentally evoked release of oxytocin. Br J Pharmacol. 1978;63:519-27. PMID: 566601
2. Muller EE, Locatelli V, Cella S et al. Prolactin-lowering and -releasing drugs: mechanisms of action and therapeutic applications. Drugs. 1983;25:399-432. PMID: 6133737
CAS Registry Number
- Muscarinic Agonists,
LactMed Record Number
Information from the National Library of Medicine's LactMed Database.
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- Acetylcholine ophthalmic use during Pregnancy
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Safe Medications during Breastfeeding
- Medicine use while Breastfeeding
- Medicine use during Pregnancy