The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
VetScan Canine Heartworm Antigen Test Kit (Canada)This page contains information on VetScan Canine Heartworm Antigen Test Kit for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- VetScan Canine Heartworm Antigen Test Kit Indications
- Warnings and cautions for VetScan Canine Heartworm Antigen Test Kit
- Direction and dosage information for VetScan Canine Heartworm Antigen Test Kit
VetScan Canine Heartworm Antigen Test KitThis treatment applies to the following species:
Canine Heartworm Rapid Test for the qualitative detection of Dirofilaria immitis in canine or feline whole blood, serum or plasma
The VetScan Canine Heartworm Rapid Test is a visual and rapid test for the qualitative detection of Dirofilaria immitis (D. immitis) in canine or feline whole blood, serum or plasma. This test is for veterinary use only.
Dirofilaria immitis is a common filarial nematode of dogs, cats and wild canids. The disease is transmitted by mosquitoes and it has a world-wide distribution. The adult worms reside in the heart and the adjacent blood vessels. The parasite can interfere with the blood circulation, heart functions, and may damage other vital organs (1).
The VetScan Canine Heartworm Rapid Test is based on using heartworm-specific antibodies in an immunochromatographic sandwich assay. Antibody-coated colloidal gold particles bind to D. immitis antigen in the sample. The bound antigen flows through the strip and is then captured by antibodies on the test strip. The accumulation of the captured gold particle/antigen complex causes a color to become visible in the T (test) area. To serve as a procedural control, a colored line in the C (control) area will always appear regardless if the sample is positive or negative.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
● Samples must be at room temperature 15 to 27 °C (59 to 80 °F), before running the assay - DO NOT HEAT.
● Previously frozen or older samples must be centrifuged before use.
● Serum or Plasma, either fresh, previously frozen or stored at 2 to 7 °C (36 to 45 °F), may be used in this test. Serum or plasma may be stored for up to 7 days at 2 to 7 °C. For longer storage, sample should be frozen (-20 °C or colder).
● Whole Blood may be used. Whole blood must be anticoagulated (e.g. EDTA, heparin) and may be used either fresh or after refrigeration at 2 to 7 °C (36 to 45 °F) for up to 5 days.
● Hemolyzed samples will not affect the results.
● EDTA or heparin in plasma will not affect the results.
PRECAUTIONS AND WARNINGS
● Important: Do not remove device from the pouch until ready for use.
● For veterinary use only.
● Do not use components after expiration date.
● Device must be used as soon as possible after removing from pouch.
● The device should be in a horizontal position on a flat surface while the test is performed.
● Use a separate transfer pipette for each test.
● All wastes should be properly decontaminated prior to disposal.
● The buffer reagent is not interchangeable from serial to serial.
● Devices and test reagents must be stored at room temperature 15 to 27 °C (59 to 80 °F).
● Devices and test reagents are stable until the expiration date when stored at 15 to 27 °C (59 to 80 °F).
1. Test Devices
2. Chase Buffer Bottle
3. Transfer Pipettes
4. Instructions for Use
1. Remove the Test Device from the protective pouch and place on a flat surface. Label the Test Device with the subject I.D. or control identification.
2. Gently mix the sample by inverting.
3. Using the Transfer Pipette provided, transfer 1 drop of sample (whole blood, serum, or plasma) in to the sample well. Wait for the sample to be absorbed (3-5 seconds).
4. Holding the Chase Buffer Bottle vertically, promptly add 2 drops of the Chase Buffer to the sample well.
5. Read the results within 10 minutes. High positives may appear as soon as 1 minute, and low positive results may take up to 10 minutes to appear. Do not read results after 15 minutes. Colored lines which appear after 15 minutes are not diagnostic and should be ignored.
INTERPRETATION OF TEST RESULTS
The test is positive if two colored lines appear. One colored line will appear at the Test line (T) area and other at the Control line (C) area. Any intensity of the Test line (T) area should be considered positive. Colored lines may be lighter or darker than each other.
The test is negative if only one line appears at the Control line (C) area.
The test is invalid if no colored line appears at the Control line (C) area even if a colored line appears in the Test line (T) area. If no colored line appears at the Control line (C) within 10 minutes, add an additional drop of the sample and wait for 5 minutes. If a colored line still does not appear in the C area, the test is invalid and should be repeated. Colored lines which appear after 15 minutes are not diagnostic and should be ignored.
Heartworm Test Procedure
1.) Rawling, C.A., et al. (1982). Four types of Occult Dirofilaria immitis infection in dogs. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 180:1323-1326.
ABAXIS CUSTOMER CARE
In Americas: +1 800 822 2947. Outside Americas: +49 6155 780 210
SA Scientific, 4919 Golden Quail, San Antonio, TX 78240 USA, U.S. Vet. License No. 373
Distributed by: Abaxis, Inc. 3240 Whipple Road, Union City, CA 94587 USA
+1 800 822 2947
ABAXIS Europe GmbH, Bunsenstr. 9-11, 64347 Griesheim, Germany
+49 6155 780 210
For patent information, see www.abaxis.com/about_us/patents.
Learn more about all of our products and services at www.abaxis.com. Abaxis and VetScan are registered trademarks of Abaxis, Inc. © Abaxis 2017.
200-7081 Rev. M
Presentation: 25 and 100 test kits.
Distributed by ZOETIS CANADA INC.
16,740 TRANS-CANADA HIGHWAY, KIRKLAND, QC, H9H 4M7
|Technical Services Canada:||800-461-0917|
|Technical Services USA:||800-366-5288|
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the VetScan Canine Heartworm Antigen Test Kit information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Canadian product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2020 Animalytix LLC. Updated: 2020-10-21