The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
SalmuneThis page contains information on Salmune for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Salmune Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Salmune
- Direction and dosage information for Salmune
SalmuneThis treatment applies to the following species:
Salmonella Typhimurium Vaccine, Live Culture
U.s. Vet. Lic. No.368
ContentsThis vaccine contains a live avirulent strain of Salmonella typhimurium and is recommended for initial vaccination of day-old, healthy, susceptible chickens.
Salmune IndicationsThe vaccine will provide protection of internal organs, intestines and ceca against colonization by Salmonella typhimurium, Salmonella heidelberg, Salmonella hadar, Salmonella kentucky and Salmonella enteritidis.
Salmune Dosage And AdministrationThis vaccine is recommended for initial vaccination of healthy chickens at day of age using coarse spray or drinking water. If water vaccination is used, a second water vaccination is required at 7 days of age.
Directions for Administration by Spray Application: The spray application of this vaccine to chickens at day of age will provide protection through at least 7 weeks of age. If chickens are to be maintained past 7 weeks of age, a repeat vaccination is recommended.
Directions for Spray Use at the Hatchery:
1. Do not use gentamicin or ceftiofur antibiotics in ovo or at day of age, such as in Marek's vaccine, since they will interfere with vaccination.
2. Use cool, sterile, nonchlorinated water that contains no anti-microbials to reconstitute the vaccine. Do not use any other type of diluent to reconstitute the vaccine.
3. Reconstitute the vaccine at a rate of 70 mL vaccine per 1,000 chicks.
4. To each box of 100 chicks, administer 7 mL of vaccine by spraying approximately 12 inches above the box using a coarse spray nozzle.
5. Although this vaccine is not known to cause a human safety problem, it is advised to take precautions, such as wearing a mask and gloves, to avoid direct contact with the vaccine.
6. Take care to administer a full dose to each chick.
7. Ensure chicks are dry before administering this vaccine. Allow chicks to dry after vaccine administration and avoid chilling.
Directions for Administration by Drinking Water: Drinking water application of this vaccine at day of age and repeated at 7 days of age will provide protection through at least 7 weeks of age. If chickens are to be maintained past 7 weeks of age, a repeat vaccination is recommended.
Directions for Drinking Water Use:
1. Do not use gentamicin or ceftiofur antibiotics in ovo or at day of age, such as in Marek's vaccine, since they will interfere with vaccination. Discontinue water medication, sanitizers, and disinfectants 72 hours before vaccination. Do not resume any medication, sanitizers, or disinfectants in the water for 72 hours after all vaccine water has been consumed. The waterers should be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed before use. Do not use disinfecting solutions during cleaning as the disinfectant residue may destroy the vaccine. Drinking containers must be free of all disinfecting solutions and medicants prior to vaccination.
2. For repeat vaccination, deprive the birds of water for up to two hours prior to vaccination.
3. Tear off the seal from the vial containing the dried vaccine and remove the stopper.
4. Use clean, nonchlorinated water for rehydration of the dried vaccine. Do not use any other type of diluent to reconstitute the vaccine. Allow 2.7 mL for each day-old chick and 5 mL for each seven day-old chick.
Mix as follows:
Water For Day-Old Chicks Per 1,000 Doses
Water For 7 Day-Old Chicks Per 1,000 Doses
0.7 gallons (90 oz.)
5. Provide enough waterers so that all birds may have an opportunity to drink the vaccine-treated water.
6. Do not resume watering until water containing vaccine has been consumed.
7. Take care to administer a full dose to each chick.
Precaution(s)Store the vaccine at 35-45°F (2-7°C).
Use entire contents of vial immediately after mixing.
Do not dilute or otherwise extend the dosage.
Burn empty bottles and unused vaccine.
Salmune Caution(s)Exposure to salmonella in the hatchery prior to vaccination may colonize the chick and may interfere with vaccination.
Use of antibiotics within 72 hours prior to or after vaccination may interfere with vaccination.
Avoid stress conditions during and following vaccination.
This vaccine is not returnable to the manufacturer.
Warning(s)Do not vaccinate within 28 days of slaughter.
This vaccine is sold under a commercial licensing agreement with Lohmann Animal Health GmBH & Co., Cuxhaven, Germany.
Patent No. 6479056
Presentation10 x 1,000 doses, 10 x 2,000 doses, 10 x 2,500 doses, 10 x 5,000 doses, 10 x 8,000 doses, and 10 x 10,000 doses.
8906 ROSEHILL ROAD, LENEXA, KS, 66215
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Salmune information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2018 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2018-04-26