Salmune (Canada)This page contains information on Salmune for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Salmune Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Salmune
- Direction and dosage information for Salmune
SalmuneThis treatment applies to the following species:
SALMONELLA TYPHIMURIUM VACCINE
For Spray Or Drinking Water Use
Note: Read the circular before rehydrating the vaccine.
Directions For Use
This vaccine contains a live avirulent strain of Salmonella typhimurium and is recommended for initial vaccination of day-old, healthy, susceptible broiler chickens. The vaccine will aid in reduction of colonization of internal organs, intestines and ceca by Salmonella typhimurium, Salmonella heidelberg, Salmonella hadar, Salmonella kentucky and Salmonella enteritidis.
Directions For Administration By Spray Application
The spray application of this vaccine to broiler chickens at day of age will provide protection through at least 7 weeks of age. If broiler chickens are to be maintained past 7 weeks of age, a repeat vaccination is recommended.
DIRECTIONS FOR SPRAY USE AT THE HATCHERY
1. Do not use gentamicin or ceftiofur antibiotics in ovo or at day of age, such as in Marek’s vaccine, since they will interfere with vaccination.
2. Use cool, sterile, nonchlorinated water that contains no anti-microbials to reconstitute the vaccine. Do not use any other type of diluent to reconstitute the vaccine.
3. Reconstitute the vaccine at a rate of 70 ml vaccine per 1,000 chicks.
4. To each plastic or cardboard chick transport box of 100 chicks, administer 7 ml of vaccine by spraying approximately 30.5 cm (12 inches) above the box using a coarse spray nozzle that provides a droplet of 80 microns or larger.
5. Although this vaccine is not known to cause a human safety problem, it is advised to take precautions, such as wearing a mask and gloves, to avoid direct contact with the vaccine. See caution statement number 3 for details.
6. It is recommended that persons who are immunocompromised or are taking medications that cause immunosuppression should not be assigned the responsibility of mixing or administering this vaccine or be present while this vaccine is being aerosolized.
7. Take care to administer a full dose to each chick.
8. Ensure chicks are dry before administering this vaccine. Allow chicks to dry after vaccine administration and avoid chilling.
Directions For Administration By Drinking Water
Drinking water application of this vaccine at day of age and repeated at 7 days of age will provide protection through at least 7 weeks of age. If broiler chickens are to be maintained past 7 weeks of age, a repeat vaccination is recommended.
DIRECTIONS FOR DRINKING WATER USE
1. Do not use gentamicin or ceftiofur antibiotics in ovo or at day of age, such as in Marek’s vaccine, since they will interfere with vaccination. Discontinue water medication, sanitizers, and disinfectants 72 hours before vaccination. Do not resume any medication, sanitizers, or disinfectants in the water for 72 hours after all vaccine water has been consumed. The waterers should be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed before use. Do not use disinfecting solutions during cleaning as the disinfectant residue may destroy the vaccine. Drinking containers must be free of all disinfecting solutions and medicants prior to vaccination.
2. For repeat vaccination, deprive the birds of water for up to two hours prior to vaccination.
3. Tear off the seal from the vial containing the dried vaccine and remove the stopper.
4. Use clean, nonchlorinated water for rehydration of the dried vaccine. Do not use any other type of diluent to reconstitute the vaccine. Allow 2.7 ml for each day-old chick and 5 ml for each seven day-old chick. Mix as follows:
Water For Day-Old Chicks Per 1,000 Doses
Water For 7 Day-Old Chicks Per 1,000 Doses
0.7 gallons (90 oz.)
5. Provide enough waterers so that all birds may have an opportunity to drink the vaccine-treated water.
6. Do not resume watering until water containing vaccine has been consumed.
7. Take care to administer a full dose to each chick.
CAUTIONS AND WARNINGS
1. The lack of interference with the pullorum-typhoid plate agglutination test has been demonstrated in controlled studies in chickens following repeated doses of Salmune.
2. Potential interference with concurrent vaccination with Salmune and other poultry vaccines has not been evaluated. Therefore, the user is advised not to mix Salmune with other vaccines and to wait at least 30 minutes between the administration of Salmune and another vaccine.
3. Persons mixing or administering this vaccine should take the following precautions:
a. Web hands well prior to mixing the vaccine and immediately after handling the vaccine using an antibacterial soap.
b. Wear disposable latex gloves and a facemask during all handling procedures.
c. The mask should be a disposable, particulate-type, moisture-resistant respirator that has at least an N95 rating, and is approved for microfilter protection at 95% efficiency, against microorganisms down to 0.3 micron in size.
d. Clean and mop the vaccination room and areas where vaccine may be tracked with a disinfectant such as quaternary ammonia or chlorine bleach. Burn gloves and masks after use.
4. Exposure to salmonella in the hatchery prior to vaccination may colonize the chick and may interfere with vaccination.
5. Use of antibiotics within 72 hours prior to or after vaccination may interfere with vaccination.
6. Use entire contents of vial immediately after mixing.
7. Do not dilute or otherwise extend the dosage.
8. Avoid stress conditions during and following vaccination.
9. Store the vaccine at 2-7°C (35-45°F).
10. Burn empty bottles and unused vaccine.
11. Do not vaccinate within 28 days of slaughter.
12. This vaccine is not returnable to the manufacturer.
13. For veterinary use only
This vaccine is sold under a commercial licensing agreement with Lohmann Animal Health GmBH & Co., Cuxhaven, Germany.
Manufactured By: Biomune Co., Lenexa, Kansas 66215, USA
Phone: (913) 894-0230
U.S. Vet Lic. No. 368
Distributed By: Ceva Animal Health, Guelph, Ontario N1K 1E8
Presentation: 10 x 5,000 doses and 10 x 10,000 doses.
NAC No.: 12210990
6-1040 FOUNTAIN ST. N., CAMBRIDGE, ON, N3E 1A3
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Salmune information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Canadian product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2017 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2017-08-31