The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Protex-Bb (Canada)This page contains information on Protex-Bb for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Protex-Bb Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Protex-Bb
- Direction and dosage information for Protex-Bb
Protex-bbThis treatment applies to the following species:
Bordetella Bronchiseptica Vaccine
Avirulent Live Culture
For Intranasal Use Only
For Use in Cats Only
Product Description: Protex®-bb Is An intranasal Vaccine Containing An Avirulent Live Culture Of bordetella Bronchiseptica. protex®-bb Is Presented In A Desiccated Form With Sterile Diluent Provided For Reconstitution.
indications: Protex®-bb Is For Vaccination Of Healthy Kittens And Cats For Prevention Of Disease Caused By b. Bronchiseptica.
discussionResearch has demonstrated that B. bronchiseptica acts as a primary or secondary pathogen in feline respiratory disease. Traditionally, feline herpesvirus (FHV) and feline calicivirus (FCV) have been implicated as the most common agents associated with feline upper respiratory infection (URI). However, studies have shown that B. bronchiseptica may be the sole infectious agent in feline URI(1, 2). Clinical signs associated with B. bronchiseptica infection may include fever, sneezing, nasal discharge, coughing and submandibular lymphadenopathy. In some cases, the infection progresses to pneumonia. Research regarding interspecies transmission has demonstrated isolates from cats and dogs housed in the same location were similar if not identical (3). Because B. bronchiseptica is transmitted by the aerosol route, animals in close confinement such as in catteries, boarding facilities, hospitals or pet stores or cats from multi-cat households are at greatest risk for infection.
Efficacy DataChallenge studies have shown that kittens vaccinated at 4 weeks of age with PROTEX®-Bb were protected against disease when challenged 3 weeks post-vaccination. Further studies to establish duration of immunity have not yet been completed. Studies to evaluate the onset of immunity have demonstrated that PROTEX®-Bb aids in the prevention of disease caused by B. bronchiseptica 72 hours after vaccination of 8-week-old cats.
Directions For UseAseptically reconstitute the desiccated vaccine with the sterile diluent provided. REMOVE THE NEEDLE AND ADMINISTER 0.2 ML INTO ONE NOSTRIL INTRANASALLY. Healthy kittens 4 weeks of age or older should be vaccinated prior to confinement or when risk of exposure to B. bronchiseptica may exist. Healthy cats 8 weeks of age or older are protected as early as 72 hours post-vaccination. Safe for pregnant queens.
1. For intranasal use only.
2. Recommended storage temperature 2-7°C (35-45°F).
3. Shake well before use.
4. Use contents promptly once reconstituted.
5. Non-chemically sterilized syringes should be used for administration of vaccine.
6. Administration of epinephrine may be indicated in the event of an anaphylactic reaction.
7. Burn this container and all unused contents.
8. Only healthy animals should be vaccinated. Animals incubating any disease, or animals stressed due to shipping, malnutrition or parasitism may not achieve or maintain an adequate immune response.
9. This product is not hazardous when used according to directions supplied. A material safety data sheet (MSDS) is available upon request. This and any other consumer information can be obtained by calling toll free Intervet Canada Corp. Customer Service at 1-866-683-7838.
SuppliedCartons of 25-1 dose desiccated vials and 25 - 0.2 ml sterile diluent vials. Packaged in recyclable plastic containers.
Sales Product Code No. 054219
(1) Jacobs, A.A.C. et. al., “Feline Bordetellosis: Challenge and Vaccine Studies,” The Veterinary Record, September 11, 1993, pp. 260-263.
(2) Welsh, R.D. “Bordetella Bronchiseptica Infections in Cats,” Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, 32: 153-158, 1996.
(3) Dawson, S. “Bordetellosis in Cats,” TNAVC 1998 Proceedings, 356-357.
For Veterinary Use Only
U.s. Veterinary License No. 165a
INTERVET INC., Millsboro, DE 19966
U.S. Patent No. 5,595,744
For technical enquiries, call toll free 1 888 306-0069.
Intervet Canada Corp.
16750 ROUTE TRANSCANADIENNE, KIRKLAND, QC, H9H 4M7
|Fax:||Toll-free 888-498-4444; local 514-428-7014|
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Protex-Bb information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Canadian product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2017 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2017-11-28