The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Pro-Bute Tablets 1 gramThis page contains information on Pro-Bute Tablets 1 gram for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Pro-Bute Tablets 1 gram Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Pro-Bute Tablets 1 gram
- Direction and dosage information for Pro-Bute Tablets 1 gram
Pro-bute Tablets 1 GramThis treatment applies to the following species:
(phenylbutazone Tablets, Usp)
For Oral Use In Horses Only
Keep Out Of Reach Of Children
Nada 91-818, Approved By Fda
Pro-Bute Tablets 1 gram CautionFederal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
DescriptionPhenylbutazone chemically is 4-butyl-1, 2 diphenyl-3, 5-pyrazolidinedione.
Mol. Wt. 308.38
Each tablet contains 1 g of phenylbutazone.
Background PharmacologyPhenylbutazone was first synthesized in 1948 and introduced into human medicine in 1949. Kuzell (1), (2), (3), Payne, (4), Fleming, (5) and Denko, (6) demonstrated the clinical effectiveness of phenylbutazone in gout, gouty arthritis, acute arthritis, acute rheumatism and various other rheumatoid disorders in humans. Fabre (7), Domenjoz, (8), Wilhelmi, (9) and Yourish, (10), have established the anti-rheumatic and anti-inflammatory activity of phenylbutazone. It is entirely unrelated to the steroid hormones.
Toxicity of phenylbutazone has been investigated in rats and mice (11), and dogs (12).
Phenylbutazone has been used by Camberos (13), in thoroughbred horses. Favorable results were reported in cases of traumatism, muscle rupture, strains and inflammations of the third phalanx. Results were not as favorable in the periodic treatment of osteoarthritis of the stifle and hip, arthrosis of the trapezious muscles and general arthritis. Sutter, (14) reported a favorable response in chronic equine arthritis of long duration, fair results in severely bruised mare and poor results in two cases where the condition was limited to the third phalanx.
Pro-Bute Tablets 1 gram IndicationsPhenylbutazone is for the relief of inflammatory conditions associated with the musculoskeletal system in horses.
Pro-Bute Tablets 1 gram Dosage And AdministrationFor Horses Only: Orally 1 to 2 tablets per 500 pounds of body weight, but not to exceed 4 g per animal daily. Use high dose for the first 48 hours, then gradually reduce to a maintenance dose.
ContraindicationsUse with caution in patients who have history of drug allergy.
PrecautionIn the treatment of inflammatory conditions associated with infections, specific anti-infective therapy should be used concurrently.
WarningNot for horses intended for food.
How SuppliedTablets containing 1 gram of phenylbutazone are supplied in bottles of 100 tablets.
Dispense in tight, child resistant containers.
Store At Controlled Room Temperature, 20° To 25°c (68° To 77°f)
1. Kuzell, WC, Schaffarzick, RW, Naughler, WE, Gandia, C and Mankle, EA: A.M.A. Arch, Inst. Med., 92,646 (1953).
2. Kuzell, WC, Schaffarzick, RW, Brown, B and Mankle, EA: J.A.M.A. 149; 729 (1952).
3. Kuzell, WC, Schaffarzick, RW: Calif. Med. 77; 319 (1952).
4. Payne, RW, Shelter, MR, Farr, CH, Hellbaum, AA, and Ishmall, WK: J. Lab. Clin. Med. 45; 331 (1955).
5. Fleming, J and Will, G: Ann. Rheumat., Dis., 12; 95 (1953).
6. Denko, CW and Rumi, D: American Pract. 6; 1865 (1955).
7. Fabre, J, et al: Semain. Hop. (Paris) 31; 87 (1955).
8. Domenjoz, R, et al: Arzneimittel-Forsch, 5; 488 (1955).
9. Wilhelmi, G and Pulver, R: Arzneimittel-Forsch, 5; 221 (1955).
10. Yourish, W, Paton, B, Brodie, B, Burns, J: A.M.A. Arch. Ophth., 53: 264 (1955).
11. Hazelton, LW, Tusing, TW and Hollana, EG: J. Pharmacol. Exper. Ther., 109; 387 (1953).
12. Ogilvie, FB and Sutter, MD: Vet. Med. 52; 492-4 (1957).
13. Camberos, HR: Rev. Med. Vet. (Buenos Aires) 38: 9 (1956).
14. Sutter, MD: Vet. Med., 53; 83 (Feb. 1958).
Manufactured by Phoenix Scientific, Inc., St. Joseph, MO 64503
Manufactured For: Pro Labs, Ltd., St. Joseph, MO 64503
801021 Rev. 11-99
c/o Agri Laboratories, Ltd.
20927 STATE ROUTE K, P.O. BOX 3103 (64503), ST. JOSEPH, MO, 64505
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Pro-Bute Tablets 1 gram information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2018 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2018-02-26