Nexaband LiquidThis page contains information on Nexaband Liquid for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Nexaband Liquid Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Nexaband Liquid
- Direction and dosage information for Nexaband Liquid
Nexaband LiquidThis treatment applies to the following species:
DescriptionNEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive (2-octyl cyanoacrylate) contains a purified cyanoacrylate monomer and stabilizers. NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive is a colorless formulation that has been demonstrated to be useful for closing surgical incisions in cat declaw procedures.
Nexaband Liquid IndicationsNEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive is indicated for veterinary use only. NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive is indicated for closing surgical incisions in cat declaw procedures.
PharmacologyAction: NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive is a monomeric formulation which, upon contact with an alkaline pH environment, polymerizes to form a thin, flexible bandage. NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive polymerizes within seconds after contact with moist wound surfaces. Polymerization is slower on a dry field.
Tissue regeneration and wound healing occur under the applied NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive layer. The NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive bandage is sloughed naturally as healing occurs.
Nexaband Liquid Dosage And Administration
1. The successful application of NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive requires proper preparation of the wound site. If antiseptic treatment is desired for the wound site, wash the area with a povidone or chlorhexidine gluconate (4%) solution. Do not use other topical ointments or salves as they may interfere with the formation of the NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive bandage.
2. After preparing the wound site, pat the wound with dry, sterile gauze to remove excess fluid and assure direct tissue contact for adherence of NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive to the skin by removing any accumulating blood or moisture from the wound. Do not apply NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive over a pool of blood or fluid. Moisture accelerates the polymerization and may affect wound closure results by causing premature sloughing of the bandage.
3. Do not bury this product. It metabolizes very slowly, which could lead to the development of a foreign body reaction.
4. Insert the extension tube into the tip of the NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive bottle. The extension tube can be bent, improving the control over the size and placement of the drops.
Note: The extension tube can be left in place over an extended period of time. If replacing the cap, always remember to wipe clean the tip on the NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive bottle before replacing the cap to prevent sealing the cap onto the bottle.
5. Approximate wound edges with gloved fingers or sterile forceps. Hold the tip of the bottle, fitted with the extension tube, slightly above the wound. Slowly apply NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive drops until the wound is completely covered. The product coverage should extend slightly beyond the wound, onto healthy tissue.
For declaw procedures: Apply 1-2 drops per socket.
Note: Do not over apply NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive. A thin, light coat is better than a thick, heavy coat.
Contraindication(s)NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive is contraindicated in the management of infected and deep puncture wounds. NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive is not intended to be used as a replacement for suture material that would normally be buried (i.e. absorbable sutures).
Precaution(s)Storage Conditions: Store NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive at room temperature. Protect from freezing and extreme heat.
Avoid contact with surgical instruments and apparatus (such as gloves). Avoid contact with clothing since the stain will be permanent.
The product should not be used beyond the indicated expiration date.
Nexaband Liquid Caution(s)Avoid unintended placement on skin and eyes.
Removal of NEXABAND® Liquid Topical Tissue Adhesive: NEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive can be removed from skin or other surfaces with acetone.
Manufactured ByClosure Medical Corporation, Raleigh, NC 27616.
PresentationNEXABAND® Liquid topical tissue adhesive (2-octyl cyanoacrylate) is supplied in individual packages, list number 5295, with each package containing: One dropper bottle containing 1.5 mL (approximately 150 drops), extension tubes and a package insert.
Abbott Animal Health
200 ABBOTT PARK ROAD, ABBOTT PARK, IL, 60064-6375
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Nexaband Liquid information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Nexaband Liquid product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2016 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2016-08-21