FarrowSureThis page contains information on FarrowSure for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- FarrowSure Indications
- Warnings and cautions for FarrowSure
- Direction and dosage information for FarrowSure
FarrowSureThis treatment applies to the following species:
Parvovirus Vaccine, Killed Virus-Erysipelothrix Rhusiopathiae-Leptospira Canicola-Grippotyphosa-Hardjo-Icterohaemorrhagiae-Pomona Bacterin
U.S. Vet. Lic. No.: 190
FARROWSURE® is a liquid preparation of inactivated PPV, grown on an established porcine cell line; whole cultures of E. rhusiopathiae; and the 5 Leptospira serovars identified above. The vaccine is combined with a sterile adjuvant to enhance the immune response.
Contains gentamicin as preservative.
FARROWSURE® is for vaccination of healthy breeding swine as an aid in preventing reproductive failure caused by porcine parvovirus (PPV), erysipelas caused by Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, and leptospirosis caused by Leptospira canicola, L. grippotyphosa, L. hardjo, L. icterohaemorrhagiae, and L. pomona.
Directions For Use
1. General Directions: Shake well. Aseptically administer 5 mL intramuscularly.
2. Primary Vaccination: Administer a single 5 mL dose to healthy sows 14-60 days before breeding. Healthy gilts, however, should receive a single 5 mL dose as near as possible to 14 days before breeding; if gilts are vaccinated sooner, persisting maternal antibodies may interfere with active immunization. Healthy boars should receive a single 5 mL dose at least 14 days prior to introduction into the breeding herd. For protection against leptospirosis, a single dose of Leptoferm-5® is recommended either 3-6 weeks before or 3-6 weeks after administration of FARROWSURE®.
3. Revaccination: Semiannual revaccination with a single dose is recommended before breeding. Boars should be revaccinated semiannually.
4. Good animal husbandry and herd health management practices should be employed.
Precaution(s): Store at 2°-7°C. Prolonged exposure to higher temperatures may adversely affect potency. Do not freeze.
Use entire contents when first opened.
Caution(s): As with many vaccines, anaphylaxis may occur after use. Initial antidote of epinephrine is recommended and should be followed with appropriate supportive therapy.
This product has been shown to be efficacious in healthy animals. A protective immune response may not be elicited if animals are incubating an infectious disease, are malnourished or parasitized, are stressed due to shipment or environmental conditions, are otherwise immunocompromised, or the vaccine is not administered in accordance with label directions.
For veterinary use only.
Warning(s): Do not vaccinate within 21 days before slaughter.
Discussion: Disease Description: PPV and Leptospira are common agents of reproductive loss in swine. While infection with any of those pathogens may produce subclinical disease, infection by PPV during pregnancy may result in fetal resorption, stillbirths, and fetal mummification. Infection by Leptospira during the second half of pregnancy may cause stillbirths or abortions; late-term abortions are the most important economic effect of leptospirosis. Leptospirosis caused by any of the serovars represented here cannot be clinically differentiated. Abortions may also occur in sows infected with E. rhusiopathiae during pregnancy.
Trial Data: Safety and Efficacy: Safety of FARROWSURE® was demonstrated in breeding-age swine. Transient mild swelling and inflammation of the injection site was observed in 3%-10% of vaccinates. No systemic or allergic reactions were observed. Efficacy of the fractions of FARROWSURE® was demonstrated in challenge-of-immunity and immunogenicity tests. After challenge with virulent E. rhusiopathiae, vaccinated pigs remained clinically normal while nonvaccinated control pigs developed clinical disease. In addition, vaccinated pigs expressed protective antibody titers to PPV and each of the Leptospira serovars, confirming that no significant immunologic interference occurred.
Presentation: 10 dose and 50 dose vials.
NAC No.: 36900663
333 PORTAGE STREET, KALAMAZOO, MI, 49007
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the FarrowSure information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2018 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2018-01-04