Equi-bute Paste (MCK)This page contains information on Equi-bute Paste (MCK) for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Equi-bute Paste (MCK) Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Equi-bute Paste (MCK)
- Direction and dosage information for Equi-bute Paste (MCK)
Equi-bute Paste (MCK)This treatment applies to the following species:
VETERINARY - FOR HORSES ONLY
NADA #116-087, Approved by FDA.
Equi-bute® Paste is a synthetic, nonhormonal anti-inflammatory, antipyretic compound useful in the management of inflammatory conditions. The apparent analgesic effect is probably related mainly to the compound’s anti-inflammatory properties.
Chemically, phenylbutazone is 4-butyl-1,2-diphenyl-3,5-pyrazolidinedione. It is a pyrazolone derivative, entirely unrelated to the steroid hormones, and has the following structural formula:
Equi-bute Paste (MCK) Indications
For the relief of inflammatory conditions associated with the musculoskeletal system in horses.
Use with caution in patients who have a history of drug allergy.
Not for use in horses intended for food.
Stop medication at the first sign of gastrointestinal upset, jaundice, or blood dyscrasia. Authenticated cases of agranulocytosis associated with the drug have occurred in man; fatal reactions, although rare, have been reported in dogs after long-term therapy. To guard against this possibility, conduct routine blood counts at weekly intervals during the early phase of therapy and at intervals of 2 weeks thereafter. Any significant fall in the total white count, relative decrease in granulocytes, or black or tarry stools, should be regarded as a signal for immediate cessation of therapy and institution of appropriate countermeasures. In the treatment of inflammatory conditions associated with infections, specific anti-infective therapy is required.
ADMINISTRATION AND DOSAGE:
Orally - 1 to 2 g of phenylbutazone per 500 lb (227 kg) of body weight, but not to exceed 4 g daily. Use a relatively high dose for the first 48 hours, then reduce gradually to a maintenance dose. Maintain lowest dose capable of producing desired clinical response.
Guidelines to Successful Therapy:
1. Important - To avoid overdosing and to ensure the correct first dose, move ring on plunger to the appropriate dosage position before administration (see Figure 1). The edge of the ring closest to the syringe barrel should be aligned to the gram/dosage mark on the plunger.
2. When administering Equi-bute® Paste the oral cavity should be empty. Set ring on plunger to deliver the appropriate dosage based on weight (see Figure 1). Deposit paste on the back of tongue by depressing plunger.
3. Use a relatively high dose for the first 48 hours (not to exceed 4 g daily), then reduce gradually to a maintenance dose. Maintain lowest dose capable of producing desired clinical response.
4. Response to Equi-bute® Paste therapy is prompt, usually occurring within 24 hours. If no significant clinical response is evident after 5 days, reevaluate diagnosis and therapeutic approach.
5. Many chronic conditions will respond to Equi-bute® Paste therapy, but discontinuance of treatment may result in recurrence of symptoms.
Store at 15°-25° C (59°-77° F).
Syringes containing 12 g of phenylbutazone, NDC 46066-1000-45 (12 g).
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
Equi-bute Paste (MCK) Caution
Federal (U.S.A.) law restricts this drug to be used by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
Each syringe contains 12 g phenylbutazone
Each marking on the plunger contains:
ANADA #200-266, Approved by FDA.
Manufactured for: Aspen Veterinary Resources® Ltd., Liberty, MO 64068, USA
Made in USA
Copyright©2015 Intervet Inc, a subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc. Madison, NJ 07940 - all rights reserved.
Distributed by Aspen Veterinary Resources®, Ltd.
156045 R1 / 140717
A156MCK Rev. 08/16
3155 W. HEARTLAND DRIVE, LIBERTY, MO, 64068
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Equi-bute Paste (MCK) information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2020 Animalytix LLC. Updated: 2020-09-29