VIVIDRIN NASAL SPRAY
Vividrin nasal spray
The name of your medicine is Vividrin Nasal Spray
Please read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription, as an over the counter item only in a pharmacy.
However, you still need to use Vividrin Nasal Spray carefully to get the best results from it.
– Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
– Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
– You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve.
– If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effect not listed in this leaflet, please
tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What Vividrin Nasal Spray is and what it is used for
2. Before you use Vividrin Nasal Spray
3. How to use Vividrin Nasal Spray
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Vividrin Nasal Spray
6. Further information
1. WHAT VIVIDRIN NASAL SPRAY IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
Your spray contains sodium cromoglycate as the active ingredient.
Your spray is used to prevent and treat perennial allergic rhinitis and hayfever (seasonal allergic rhinitis).
The sodium cromoglycate in this spray works to prevent allergic reactions e.g. hayfever.
This spray works by preventing the itching, sneezing and runny nose often associated with hayfever.
2. BEFORE YOU USE VIVIDRIN NASAL SPRAY
DO NOT use this spray
• If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of its ingredients (see section 6) do not use the spray.
Take special care with this spray
• If you are using sodium cromoglycate or steroids to control asthma, you may find that the effects of
that treatment may increase.
Using other medicines
• If you are using medicines called antihistamines, it may be possible that you may not need as much
• Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines,
including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
• Use this spray only if necessary, and then only on your doctor’s advice, if you are pregnant or
Important information about some of the ingredients of Vividrin Nasal Spray
• This spray contains benzalkonium chloride which is an irritant and may cause skin reactions.
3. HOW TO USE VIVIDRIN NASAL SPRAY
To work most effectively, Vividrin Nasal Spray should be used every day during the hayfever season,
even when you are not suffering from any symptoms. If your symptoms are caused by pollen, you
should continue to use your spray until the end of the hayfever season. If you have used sodium
cromoglycate before, you may have to take it for several days before you obtain the maximum effect.
Always use your spray exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you to. You should check with
your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. The medicine is to be used only as a spray applied into
The usual dose is to apply one spray into each nostril,
four to six times each day.
If you are using Vividrin Nasal Spray four times a day
you may find it easier to remember to take it if you
use it at meal times and when you go to bed.
Directions for use
– blow your nose to clear any mucus
– take the cap off the spray and check that the nozzle
– hold the bottle with the spray nozzle pointing upwards, your fingers either side of the nozzle and
your thumb on the base of the bottle
– press down with both fingers to ensure a fine spray is released
– holding the bottle upright, insert the spray nozzle into a nostril
– press the bottom of the bottle once with your thumb and a single spray of solution will be dispensed
– repeat the procedure for your other nostril
– after use wipe the nozzle with a clean tissue and replace the cap
Always read the label before using this medicine.
If you use more Vividrin Nasal Spray than you should
If you accidentally use too much do not worry, but if you accidentally swallow Vividrin Nasal Spray
talk to your doctor.
If you forget to use Vividrin Nasal Spray
Use your spray as soon as you remember and then carry on in the usual way. Do not take a double
dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
Make sure you know how and when to use your medicine. If you are not sure about using your spray,
ask your pharmacist.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Vividrin Nasal Spray can cause some side effects, although not everybody gets
them. If you experience any difficulty stop using your spray and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Rarely, some people find the inside of their nose becomes irritated when they first use the spray. If
this does happen it should not be a problem for long, but if it is or you are worried, then you should
talk to your doctor or pharmacist about it.
If your spray makes you very breathless or causes an attack of coughing or wheezing, you should immediately contact your doctor.
If any side effect gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor
5. HOW TO STORE VIVIDRIN NASAL SPRAY
• Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
• Do not use this medicine after its expiry date.
Check the expiry date on the label before you begin to use your medicine.
The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
If the expiry date has passed, take the medicine back to your pharmacist.
• Keep the spray at normal room temperature (do not store above 25ºC).
• Protect from direct sunlight.
• Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how
to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What Vividrin Nasal Spray contains
The active ingredient is Sodium Cromoglycate 2.0% w/v.
The other ingredients are Benzalkonium Chloride, Disodium Edetate, Polysorbate 80, Sorbitol, Sodium
Hydroxide and Purified Water.
What Vividrin Nasal Spray looks like and contents of the pack
Your medicine is a nasal spray and is supplied in plastic bottles.
Each bottle has a volume of 15 ml.
This spray is a clear solution.
This medicine is for you, never give it to anyone else, even if they appear to have the same symptoms as you.
Return any unused medicine to your pharmacist.
Marketing Authorisation Holder and Manufacturer
The Marketing Authorisation Holder is:
Bausch & Lomb UK Ltd
106 London Road
This leaflet was last approved in 03/2011.
The Manufacturer is:
Dr. Gerhard Mann Chem-pharm
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.