VIRASORB COLD SORE CREAM
Active substance(s): ACICLOVIR
FRONT FACE TOP
Important information about Virasorb
• This medicine is used to treat cold sores on
the lips and around the mouth.
• It can be used by adults, the elderly and
Do not use…
• Inside your mouth, on your eyes or genitals.
See section 2.
Talk to your doctor….
• If your sores do not heal within 10 days, or
get worse at any time. See section 3.
Now read the rest of the leaflet before you
use this medicine. It includes other
information which might be especially
important for you.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it
• Ask your pharmacist if you need any more
information or advice.
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if
you notice any side effects not listed in this
leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
1. What the medicine is for
Virasorb contains aciclovir which is an antiviral
agent. It is used to treat cold sores on the lips
2. Before you use this
Do not use the medicine if you or
your child have….
• An allergy to any of the ingredients listed in
• An allergy to valaciclovir.
• Do not use on sores inside your mouth, on
the eyes or on your genitals.
Sores of this type may require other specific
treatment. Talk to your doctor for advice if you
Talk to your doctor if you or your
• Severe cold sores.
• A weakened immune system (e.g. due to
chemotherapy, radiotherapy treatments or
• Any doubt that your sore is a cold sore.
Pregnant or breastfeeding….
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before
using this medicine if you are pregnant, might
be pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Important information about some
of the ingredients
• This product contains cetyl alcohol and
propylene glycol which may cause local skin
reactions (e.g. contact dermatitis) or irritation.
3. How to use this medicine
Apply it to the skin, on the lips and face only.
Adults, the elderly and children
• Start applying the cream as soon as you
notice any symptoms such as tingling or
• Wash your hands before and after use to
avoid making the cold sore worse or giving
the infection to someone else.
• Apply it preferably using a cotton bud. If one
is not available use a clean finger.
• Apply a thin layer to all the blisters and the
Length of treatment
• Apply five times a day, every four hours.
• Use for five days. If your cold sore has not
completely healed after this time carry on
using for a further five days.
• If your cold sore has not healed after 10 days
of treatment, stop using the cream and ask
your doctor for advice.
If your cold sore gets worse at any time, talk to
If you swallow some or get cream
in your eyes
If you accidentally swallow some, see a doctor
straight away. Take the pack with you to show
which medicine you have swallowed.
If you get any cream in your eyes, wash it out
with lots of cool water. If your eyes feel sore
afterwards, tell your doctor.
4. Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Virasorb can have side
effects, although these don’t affect everyone.
REVERSE FACE TOP
Important side effects
By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this
5. Storing this medicine
• Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach
If you think that you have any of the following
side effects or symptoms, stop using this
• Do not store above 30°C.
medicine immediately and see a doctor as soon
• Do not refrigerate.
• Do not use after the expiry date shown on the
Allergic reactions (affects less than 1 in 10,000
carton. The expiry date refers to the last day
of that month.
• Rash, itching or hives on your skin.
Medicine should not be disposed of via
• Swelling of your face, lips, tongue or other
wastewater or household waste. Ask your
parts of your body.
pharmacist how to dispose of any unused
• Shortness of breath, wheezing or having
medicine. These measures will help to protect
Other possible side effects
Uncommon (affects less than 1 in 100 people)
6. Further information
stinging feeling after applying
What is in this medicine
the cream that goes away.
The active ingredient is:
• Mild drying or flaking
The other ingredients are:
Rare (affects less than 1 in 1,000 people)
paraffin, white soft paraffin,
Redness of yourLeaflet
propylene glycol, purified water.
If you notice excessive skin irritation or any
What the medicine looks like
side effect not
included above, stop use
Virasorb cream is a smooth white cream.
and tell your doctor
It is supplied in 2g tubes.
210mm x 138mm flat (27mm x 138mm folded)
you what to do.
Marketing authorisation holder and
Proof No. of side1 effects
Thornton and Ross Ltd., Huddersfield,
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
HD7 5QH, UK.
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can
This leaflet was last revised in February 2017
also report side effects directly via the Yellow
Virasorb is a trade mark of Thornton and Ross
Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
Point Sizes Used