UK Edition. Click here for US version.
VICKS COLD & FLU CARE DAYMED COMPLETE HOT DRINK
Active substance(s): GUAIFENESIN / PHENYLEPHRINE HYDROCHLORIDE
VICKS COLD & FLU CARE
Paracetamol 500 mg, Phenylephrine HCl 10 mg, Guaifenesin 200mg
Powder for oral solution
Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to use Vicks Cold & Flu Care
Daymed Complete Hot Drink carefully to get the best results from it.
− Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
− Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
− You must contact a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve after 3 days
− If any of the side effects become serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please
tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink is and what it is used for
2. Before you take Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink
3. How to take Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink
6. Further information
WHAT VICKS COLD & FLU CARE DAYMED COMPLETE HOT DRINK IS AND WHAT
IT IS USED FOR
Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink is designed for the relief of symptoms of colds and flu.
It contains three active ingredients:
• Paracetamol is a well known pain killer (analgesic). It is effective against aches and pains including
headache and sore throat and can also reduce fever (antipyretic).
• Guaifenesin (an expectorant) loosens phlegm which helps relieve chesty coughs.
• Phenylephrine hydrochloride (a nasal decongestant) reduces swelling in the passages of the nose and so
relieves a blocked nose.
You should only use Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink if you have pain/or fever, nasal
congestion and chesty cough.
BEFORE YOU TAKE VICKS COLD & FLU CARE DAYMED COMPLETE HOT DRINK
Do not take Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink if you:
• are allergic to paracetamol, guaifenesin, phenylephrine hydrochloride, or to any of the ingredients (see
• have heart disease
• have high blood pressure (hypertension)
• have a problem with your liver or severe kidney disease
• have overactivity of the thyroid gland
• are diabetic
• have glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye) of the narrow-angle type
• have porphyria, which is a hereditary disorder of characterised by excessive amounts of pigments in the
• are taking tricyclic antidepressants
• are taking beta blockers
• are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) - used in treatment of depression or Parkinson’s
disease or have taken them in the last 14 days
Page 1 of 4
are taking medicines to lower your blood pressure or treat angina.
Do not give Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink to children under 12 years of age
Important: Contains Paracetamol.
Do not take anything else containing paracetamol while taking this medicine.
Talk to a doctor at once if you take too much of this medicine even if you feel well. This is because too
much paracetamol can cause delayed, serious liver damage.
Do not take with any other flu, cold or decongestant products.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before taking Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink if you:
• have a problem with your liver functions
• are male and have an enlarged prostate gland, as you may have more difficulty passing water
• have a blood circulation problem (including Raynaud’s syndrome)
• have persistent or chronic cough such as occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or
Taking other medicines
Please inform your doctor or pharmacist before you take Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot
Drink if you are taking:
• medicine containing paracetamol or other decongestants for colds and flu.
If you are taking these, do not take Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink.
• monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) used in the treatment of depression or Parkinson’s disease.
Do not take Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink if you have taken MAOIs in the last
• tricyclic antidepressants for depression, such as amitriptyline or imipramine.
• medicine for high blood pressure (antihypertensives), including beta-blockers, or for improving heart
function or correcting abnormal heart rhythms (digoxin, lanoxin, digitoxin).
• phenothiazines (which are used either as antipsychotic drugs to treat conditions such as schizophrenia or
paranoia, or to prevent nausea and vomiting).
• medicine for nausea and vomiting( such as metoclopramide or domperidone)
• medicine for thinning the blood (anticoagulants), such as warfarin or other coumarins
• medicine for high cholesterol (such as cholestyramine)
• sedatives (barbiturates)
• probenecid or AZT (zidovudine)
• isoniazid (used to treat or prevent tuberculosis)
Taking Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink with food and drink
Do not take this product with alcoholic drinks.
Pregnancy and breast- feeding
Taking Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink during pregnancy or breast feeding is not
recommended: you should ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before use.
Driving and using machines
This product may cause dizziness or confusion. If you are affected do not drive or operate machinery.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot
This product contains:
• Aspartame (E951), a source of phenylalanine. May be harmful for people with phenylketonuria.
• Sucrose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your
doctor before taking this medicinal product.
• Sodium (157 mg per dose). To be taken into consideration by patients on a controlled sodium diet
Page 2 of 4
HOW TO TAKE VICKS COLD & FLU CARE DAYMED COMPLETE HOT DRINK
Always take Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has
told you; check with them if you are not sure about anything.
This medicine is a powder to be dissolved in water and taken as a hot drink.
Pour one sachet of powder into a mug of standard size and fill with hot, but not boiling water (approx
250ml). Allow to cool to a drinkable temperature.
Adults and children over 12 years:
1 sachet every 4-6 hours as required. Do not take more than 4 sachets in any 24 hour period.
Do not give to children under 12 years of age
Do not exceed the stated dose.
Do not take this medicine with alcoholic drinks.
Long term use of the product is not recommended.
If symptoms persist for more than 3 days or worsen, consult your doctor.
If you take more Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink than you should:
Seek medical advice immediately if you accidentally take more than you should or give a child more than
is recommended, even if you/the child feel well because of the risk of delayed, serious liver damage.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your pharmacist.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink can cause side effects, although
not everybody gets them.
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking the medicine immediately and seek
for urgent medical advice:
• Very rare cases of serious skin reactions have been reported. Severe allergic reactions
(anaphylaxis), wheezing or breathing difficulties may occur rarely.
(Rare: affects less than 1 in 1000 people, but more than 1 in 10,000 people; Very rare: affects less
than 1 in 10,000 people ).
Certain disorders of the blood cells and pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) may occur very
rarely with paracetamol (affect less than 1 in 10,000 people).
Other side effects
Common (affect less than 1 in 10 people, but more
than 1 in 100 people).
Rare (affect less than 1 in 1000 people, but more
than 1 in 10,000 people).
Loss of appetite, nausea or vomiting
Mild allergic reactions (such as skin rashes or hives)
Stomach ache, diarrhoea
Rapid heartbeat (palpitations); High blood pressure
Difficulty sleeping (insomnia), nervousness, shaking
Page 3 of 4
(tremor), irritability, restlessness, confusion or
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side effects not
listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at:
www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the
safety of this medicine.
HOW TO STORE VICKS COLD & FLU CARE DAYMED COMPLETE HOT DRINK
Keep out of the reach and sight of children
Store below 25 OC.
Do not take Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink after the expiry date which is printed on
the sachet or carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of the month stated.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to
dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
What Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink contains
Each sachet of this medicine provides a single dose containing the active ingredients: paracetamol 500mg,
guaifenesin 200mg and phenylephrine hydrochloride 10 mg.
The other ingredients are: sucrose, citric acid, tartaric acid, sodium cyclamate, sodium citrate, aspartame
(E951), acesulfame potassium (E950), powdered menthol, lemon flavour, lemon juice flavour, quinoline
Yellow (E104). See end of section 2.
What Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink looks like and contents of the pack
Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink is an off-white coloured powder which is packed in
laminated sachets in a carton box. The product is available in cartons of 5 and 10 sachets.
Not all pack sizes may be marketed
Marketing Authorisation Holder
Procter & Gamble (Health & Beauty Care) Ltd.
The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge KT13 0XP UK
Wrafton Laboratories Limited
Braunton, Devon, EX33 2DL UK
Text revision date: 08/2014
UK: Vicks Cold & Flu Care Daymed Complete Hot Drink
Page 4 of 4
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.