THALLOUS (TL201) CHLORIDE INJECTION 37MBQ/ML SOLUTION FOR INJECTION
Active substance(s): THALLOUS CHLORIDE TL 201
Package leaflet: Information for the user
Thallous chloride Tl201
solution for injection
Active substance: 201Tl as thallous chloride
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this medicine.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What Thallous chloride Tl201 is and what it is used for
2. Before you use Thallous chloride Tl201
3. How to use Thallous chloride Tl201
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Thallous chloride Tl201
6. Further information
What Thallous chloride Tl201 is and
what it is used for
This medicine is for diagnostic use only.
Thallous chloride TI201 is used through a scan to examine the:
• leg muscles
• parathyroid gland
• tumours, particularly in the thyroid and brain
This medicine contains a radioactive substance which when injected, collects
in certain organs such as the heart.
The radioactive substance can be photographed from outside the body,
using special cameras which take a scan. This scan shows the distribution of
radioactivity within the organ and body. This also gives the doctor valuable
information about the structure and function of that organ.
Before you use Thallous chloride Tl201
Using other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have
recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained
without a prescription.
The following medicines can particularly influence the Thallous
chloride TI201 heart examination:
Your doctor may recommend that you stop the following medicines
• dipyridamole, a medicine to reduce blood clotting and treat heart
• adenosine, a medicine to reduce heart beat
• isoprenaline a medicine to treat reduced heart beat
• dobutamine, a medicine to treat heart diseases
• certain medicines to prevent or treat heart attacks known as
nitrate, such as isosorbide dinitrate and mononitrate, nitroglycerin
• medicines to treat different heart diseases, high blood pressure or migraine and with active substance names ending in “olol”
• theophyllin, a medicine to treat asthma
• medicines to treat heart failure, such as digitoxin or digoxin
• insulin, a medicine to lower blood sugar.
Do not use Thallous chloride Tl201
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Take special care with Thallous chloride Tl201
Do not take Thallous chloride Tl201 if you are pregnant. Any
possibility of pregnancy must be ruled out before using this
Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding as he may delay
treatment until breast-feeding is finished. He may also ask you to
stop breast-feeding until the radioactivity is no longer in your
if you are
• allergic (hypersensitive) to thallous chloride or any of the other
• pregnant or breast-feeding
This medicine does involve treatment with radioactivity. Your doctor
will only give you this medicine if the benefit outweighs the risk. This
particularly applies to certain heart examinations.
Thallous chloride Tl201 is given in one single dose by specialists, who
will take responsibility for any necessary precautions.
Your doctor will inform you if you need to take any special precautions
after using this medicine. Contact your doctor if you have any
12 CON 8103 United Kingdom PIL 22032012
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
Driving and using machines
Thallous chloride Tl201 is unlikely to impair the ability to drive and
How to use Thallous chloride Tl201
Thallous chloride Tl201 will always be used in a hospital or similar setting. It
will only be administered to you by qualified people trained to safe
handle radioactive material.
Your doctor will decide the Thallous chloride Tl201 amount to be
used. The dose administered will depend on the procedure.
The lowest dose possible will be used to produce adequate X-ray
The usual dose is :
Approximate dose for adults and the elderly is:
• 18.5- 110 MBg injected into a vein
MBq is the unit used to measure radioactivity, and defines the activity
of a quantity of radioactive material.
Children under 18 years
Lower doses are used for children according to their body weight.
Method of use
Fasting 4 hours before the injection is recommended. One injection is
Scans can be taken during or shortly after the injection. New scans
can be required for heart examinations, 3 to 24 hours after the first
Drink and urinate as much as possible before and after
treatment. This will prevent active substance gathering in the
If you use more Thallous chloride Tl201 than you should
What Thallous chloride Tl201 contains
• The active substance is 201Tl as thallous chloride.
One millilitre of Thallous chloride TI201 contains 37 MBq thallium-201.
• The other ingredients are: sodium chloride and water for injections.
What Thallous chloride Tl201 looks like and contents of the
Thallous chloride Tl201 is packaged in type 1 Ph.Eur glass vial closed with a
butyl rubber stopper and sealed with an aluminium crimp cap. It is supplied
in one vial containing 1.7, 2.3, 5.8 or 10 ml.
Marketing Authorisation Holder and Manufacturer
• Marketing Authorisation Holder
Covidien (UK) Commercial Ltd.
Hampshire PO15 7NY
Tel: +44(0)1329224411, Fax: +44(0)1329224390
Mallinckrodt Medical B.V., Westerduinweg 3
1755 LE Petten, The Netherlands
This leaflet was last approved in 04/2012.
It is unlikely that overdose will occur as this medicine is given under control
by a doctor. However, if this happens you will receive appropriate treatment
from your doctor.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Thallous chloride Tl201 can cause side effects, although
not everybody gets them.
Side effects can occur with the following frequencies:
rare, occurs in 1 to 10 per 10,000 users
• allergic reactions
• widening of blood vessels causing reduced blood pressure, fainting
• skin reactions on the injection side
Hospital staff will treat these reactions, if they occur
Frequency unknown, from the data available
• cancer, however the risk is very low as low doses are used in this
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not
listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store Thallous chloride Tl201
Do not use Thallous chloride Tl201 after the expiry date stated on the label.
Hospital staff will ensure correct storage temperature, between 1525°C as stated on the label. However, if more than one dose is
intended for use, the vial should be stored between 2-8°C after the
first dose is taken.
12 CON 8103 United Kingdom PIL 22032012