UK Edition. Click here for US version.
SUPERDRUG SPEARMINT INDIGESTION RELIEF TABLETS
Active substance(s): CALCIUM CARBONATE
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you take this medicine because it contains important
information you need to know.
This medicine is available without prescription, however, you still need to use this product
carefully to get the best results from it. Keep this leaflet as you may need to read it again. Ask
your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
1. What is this medicine and what is it used for?
This medicine contains:
• calcium carbonate which is an antacid and helps to reduce acidity in the stomach.
These tablets are for the relief of indigestion, heartburn, stomach pain or discomfort (dyspepsia),
acidity and passing wind (flatulence).
2. Is this medicine suitable for you?
Do not take this medicine if you:
• are allergic to calcium carbonate or any of the other ingredients
• have kidney problems, including kidney stones
• have an overactive parathyroid gland
• have heart problems and are taking cardiac glycosides (e.g. digoxin)
• are on a low phosphate diet
• have been told by your doctor that you have high levels of calcium in your blood
• have Zollinger-Ellison syndrome (a tumour in the stomach that causes excess acid
• are under 12 years of age.
Please see your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if you:
• are pregnant
• have diabetes
• have an intolerance to some sugars.
If you are taking any of the following medicines please see your doctor:
• tetracycline antibiotics (e.g. sumycin and tetracyn)
• bisphosphonates, a group of medicines used to treat bone diseases (e.g. etidronate and
• thiazide diuretics, sometimes called water tablets, which are medicines used to treat high
blood pressure and fluid retention (e.g. chlortalidone and metolazone).
Information about some of the ingredients in this medicine:
Each tablet contains 615 mg of sucrose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an
intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicinal product. This should
be taken into account in patients with diabetes.
3. How to take this medicine
To be sucked or chewed as preferred.
Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years:
1 or 2 tablets, as required. Do not take more than 16 tablets in any 24 hour period.
Do not give to children under 12 years.
Do not exceed the stated dose. If your symptoms persist or worsen, you must see a doctor or
If you take too many tablets by mistake, contact your doctor or pharmacist straight away.
4. Possible side effects
Most people do not have any side effects while taking this medicine. However, if you experience
any of the following side effects, or anything else unusual happens, stop taking the medicine
immediately, and see your doctor or pharmacist.
Rare side effects are:
• passing wind (flatulence)
• fatigue, confusion, poor appetite, feeling sick or being sick as these may be signs of changes
in the amount of calcium and the pH (measure of acidity or alkalinity) of your blood (this is
only seen after regular use)
• heartburn (acid rebound).
5. How to store your medicine
Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not use this medicine after the end of the month shown as an expiry date printed on the pack.
Do not store above 25°C.
6. What is in this medicine?
Each tablet contains the active ingredient: calcium carbonate 500 mg.
The other ingredients are: sucrose, maize starch, calcium stearate, spearmint flavour and sodium
This product is available in pack sizes of 24 and 48 tablets.
7. Who makes this medicine?
The Marketing Authorisation holder and manufacturer is Wrafton Laboratories Limited,
Braunton, Devon, EX33 2DL, United Kingdom.
Text Revised: August 2007