Active substance(s): MAGNESIUM SULPHATE / MANNITOL / POTASSIUM CITRATE / SODIUM CITRATE
Potassium citrate 0.86%, Sodium citrate 0.82%, Mannitol 3.38%, Magnesium sulphate 1%
Take special care with Soltran
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you have
Your healthcare professional will make sure that:
• Soltran solution is clear before use
• The container is not damaged
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• If you have any further questions, ask your
doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
• If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you
notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet,
please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Using other medicines
There are no known problems when Soltran is
used with other medicines.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
In this leaflet:
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant
or breast feeding, Soltran can still be used.
What Soltran is and what it is used for
Before Soltran is used
How Soltran is used
Possible side effects
How Soltran is stored
Important information about some of the
ingredients of Soltran
This medicine contains potassium and sodium.
Your doctor will know how much of these salts to
1 What Soltran is and what it is used for
3 How Soltran is used
Soltran is a sterile solution which is used to wash
out (flush) organs before putting them into another
person’s body (transplantation).
Soltran will be used by your healthcare
When used on organs being transplanted:
• This includes the kidney, liver or pancreas.
• It helps to keep the organ in good condition until
it is transplanted.
• If Soltran is being used to flush organs before
being transplanted, your doctor will decide how
much solution is needed and for how long.
• It will depend on the type of organ and whether
it is from someone related to you.
Soltran can also be used to wash a damaged
kidney during an operation.
2 Before Soltran is used
• If the donor is a living relative - about 200 to
Do not use Soltran
300 ml of Soltran will be injected through a
• Soltran must not be injected into your veins.
blood vessel into the kidney, after it has been
• If it is used during surgery on a damaged kidney,
removed from the donor. The kidney is flushed to
only small amounts will be used. This is so that it
remove all the blood.
does not get into your blood.
• If the donor is not alive - about 2,000 to 3,000 ml
of Soltran will be pushed through the kidney
under pressure to clean it.
Marketing Authorisation Holder and
Liver and pancreas:
• For liver and pancreas transplants, your doctor
will decide how much Soltran is needed and how
to use it.
The Marketing Authorisation holder is:
Baxter Healthcare Ltd
When used during surgery on your damaged
Your doctor will decide how much solution is
needed and for how long.
If you have any further questions on the use of this
product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Send all enquiries to this address.
Soltran can be made at either of these places:
Baxter Healthcare Ltd
4 Possible side effects
There are no known side effects from the use of
5 How Soltran is stored
Baxter Healthcare SA
• Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
• Do not store above 25ºC.
• Do not use Soltran after the expiry date which is
stated on the label after Exp. The expiry date
refers to the last day of that month.
• Soltran must not be used if the container is
damaged or the solution is not clear.
• The solution should only be used once. Any
left over solution should be disposed of by your
This leaflet was last approved in 16/02/2012.
Is this leaflet hard to see or read?
Telephone 01635 206345 for an
audio-tape, large print leaflet or
Soltran is a trademark of Baxter International Inc.
6 Further information
What Soltran contains
• The active substances are Potassium citrate
0.86%, Sodium citrate 0.82%, Mannitol 3.38%
and Magnesium sulphate 1%
• The other ingredient is sterile water
(called ‘water for injections’). Soltran can
also sometimes contain a very small amount of
hydrochloric acid. This can be used to modify the
pH of the solution.
What Soltran looks like and contents of the
Soltran is a solution to keep an organ in good
condition (organ preservation). It is a clear and
colourless sterile solution. It is available in plastic
bags of 1,000 ml, 2,000 ml and 3,000 ml.