SODIUM BICARBONATE 4.2% W/V SOLUTION FOR INFUSION
INFORMATION FOR THE USER
B. Braun Melsungen AG · 34209 Melsungen · Germany
4.2 % w/v
Intravenous Infusion BP
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using TAKE SPECIAL CARE WITH 4.2 % W/V SODIUM BICARthis medicine.
BONATE INTRAVENOUS INFUSION BP
– Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
– If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or
– This medicine has been prescribed for you. Do not pass it
on to others. It may harm them, even if their symptoms
are the same as yours.
– If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice
any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your
doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intravenous Infusion
BP is and what it is used for
2. Before you use 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intravenous Infusion BP
3. How to use 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intravenous
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intravenous
6. Further information
1. WHAT 4.2 % W/V SODIUM BICARBONATE INTRAVENOUS INFUSION BP IS
AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
in presence of the following conditions:
• certain types of breathing problems
• abnormally low levels of calcium
• high concentration of salts in the blood (hyperosmolarity)
• when intake of sodium should be limited such as
– some kinds of heart disease
– fluid retention with swelling
– high blood pressure
– eclampsia (a condition causing convulsions during pregnancy)
– severe kidney disease.
4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate should only be given to you as
an intravenous infusion (as a drip into a vein).
Special care will be taken while you are receiving the
medicine to ensure that the correct potassium and sodium
levels are maintained in your blood.
TAKING OR USING OTHER MEDICINES
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have
recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Sodium Bicarbonate may interact with other medicines, in
This medicine contains sodium bicarbonate (bicarbonate • lithium (used to treat mental disease)
of soda) which is used to correct the acid-base balance (a • some steroid products, e.g. cortisones
• androgens (a male hormone)
disorder of metabolism) in the body.
• diuretics (medicine increasing the urine flow).
The situations in which you may receive this product include:
PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING
• when you have too much acid in your body fluids or
• when your urine has to be made more alkaline e.g. in
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any
order to promote the excretion of certain drugs
• to correct your blood potassium level before reaching
a abnormally high values.
Bicarbonate also readily crosses the placenta. No unwanted
2. BEFORE YOU USE 4.2 % W/V SODIUM BI- effects, however, are expected to occur if 4.2 % w/v Sodium
Bicarbonate Intravenous Infusion is used as prescribed when
CARBONATE INTRAVENOUS INFUSION BP given during pregnancy.
YOU SHOULD NOT RECEIVE 4.2 % W/V SODIUM BICARBONATE INTRAVENOUS INFUSION BP
if you suffer from any of the following conditions:
• too much alkali in your body fluids
• abnormally high level of sodium in your blood
• abnormally low level of potassium in your blood.
You should not normally receive this product if you have
5. HOW TO STORE 4.2 % W/V SODIUM
BICARBONATE INTRAVENOUS INFUSION
Your doctor will advise whether it should be used if you are Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not use 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intravenous
Infusion BP after the expiry date which is stated on the
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES
bottle and the outer carton. The expiry date refers to the
This medicine has no influence on the ability to drive and
last day of that month.
Do not store above 25 °C.
3. HOW TO USE 4.2 % W/V SODIUM BICARBONATE INTRAVENOUS INFUSION BP
Do not use 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intravenous Infusion BP if you notice
You will be given this medicine by infusion into a vein • cloudiness of solution,
• particles in the solution,
• leaking of the bottle.
Your doctor will decide how much 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate and for how long the infusion should be given. This Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater
or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of
will depend upon your clinical condition.
medicines no longer required. These measures will help to
You will normally receive 60 - 120 ml of 4.2 % w/v Sodium protect the environment.
Bicarbonate Intravenous Infusion per hour.
IF YOU RECEIVED MORE 4.2 % W/V SODIUM BICARBONATE INTRAVENOUS INFUSION BP THAN YOU SHOULD
It is unlikely that this happens because this medicine
is given to you by a doctor or a nurse. Yet if you received
an overdose your blood may become too alkaline or too concentrated with respect to dissolved salts.
If you received this medicine too rapidly, more carbon
dioxide may be released, which may adversely affect your
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intravenous Infusion BP contains
• The active substance is sodium bicarbonate.
1000 ml of the solution contain 42.0 g of sodium bicarbonate.
• The other ingredients are
disodium edetate and water for injections.
What 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intravenous
If overdose occurs, your infusion will be stopped. Your Infusion BP looks like and contents of the pack
doctor will decide on further treatment and medication
4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intravenous Infusion is a sothat you may need.
lution for infusion (a solution for administration by a vein
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, drip).
ask your doctor or pharmacist.
It is a clear, colourless sterile solution of sodium bicarbonate in water.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intra- It is available in the following presentations: 100 ml, 250 ml
venous Infusion BP can cause side effects, although not and 500 ml glass bottles, sealed with rubber stoppers.
everybody gets them.
Marketing Authorisation Holder and Manufacturer
It is unlikely that 4.2 % w/v Sodium Bicarbonate Intravenous Infusion would cause any unwanted effects when B. Braun Melsungen AG
used as directed.
34212 Melsungen, Germany 34209 Melsungen, Germany.
If you notice any side effects, please tell your doctor
This leaflet was last approved in October 2008
B. Braun Melsungen AG
34209 Melsungen, Germany
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.