SIMPLY SUPPLEMENTS ECHINACEA COLD & FLU RELIEF CAPSULES
Active substance(s): PRESSED JUICE OF PURPLE CONEFLOWER
5. How to store this product
Do not use your capsules after the expiry date.
Return any out-of-date capsules to your pharmacist who will dispose of them for you.
The expiry date is printed on the box and the blister pack.
Store the product in a cool dry place.
Do not store the capsules in a place where the temperature goes above 25°C.
Keep your capsules out of the reach and sight of children.
Higher Nature Echinacea
Cold & Flu Relief
Dried juice of Echinacea purpurea herb 176mg
Please read this leaflet carefully before you start taking these capsules.
It contains some important information about Higher Nature Echinacea Cold & Flu
Keep your capsules in the blister pack until it is time to take them.
6. Further information
Each soft capsule contains 176mg of dried pressed juice from fresh flowering
Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench herb (20-28:1), (equivalent to 3520mg - 4928mg of
fresh flowering Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench herb) which is the active ingredient.
Keep this leaflet with the capsules.
You may want to read it again or show it to your doctor, pharmacist or qualified
What is in this leaflet
This product also contains the following ingredients:
Maltodextrin, precipitated silicon dioxide, citric acid monohydrate.
Refined soya-bean oil, refined coconut oil, white beeswax, rice starch, fractionated
palm kernel oil, phospholipids from soya-beans, succinylated gelatine, glycerol, noncrystallising sorbitol solution 70%, titanium dioxide E171, ferric (II, III) oxide E172,
quinoline yellow E104, patent blue V E E131, purified water.
2: Before you take this product. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 2
Each pack contains 30 soft capsules.
6: Further information . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 4
Registration holder and manufacturer for this product
Swiss Caps GmbH
Grassingerstrasse 9, D-83043 Bad Aibling, Germany
This leaflet was prepared in March 2011
HEEC030 Echinacea PIL v102.indd 1
3: How to take this product . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 2
4: Possible side-effects. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 3
5: How to store this product. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 4
1. What this product is and what it is used for
This product is a traditional herbal medicinal product containing Echinacea
purpurea herb. Each capsule of this product contains 176mg of dried pressed
juice from fresh flowering Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench herb (20-28:1), (equivalent
to 3520mg - 4928mg of fresh flowering Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench herb) which is
the active ingredient.
Traditional herbal registration number:
If you would like further information on this product, please contact:
Burwash Common, East Sussex, TN19 7LX
Telephone: 0870 0664478
1: What this product is and what it is used for. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . page 1
Higher Nature Echinacea Cold & Flu Relief is a traditional herbal medicinal
product used to relieve the symptoms of the common cold and influenza type
infections. This usage is based on traditional use only.
2. Before you take this product
DO NOT TAKE this product if you:
● are allergic to any of the ingredients or to plants of the Asteraceae/
Compositae family such as daisies, marigolds or artichokes (see section 6)
● have a tendency to allergies such as hives, allergic eczema or asthma
● are allergic to peanuts or soya
● are fructose-intolerant (react badly to some sugars)
● are pregnant or breastfeeding
● suffer from the infection tuberculosis
● suffer from connective tissue disease such as sarcoidosis
● suffer from autoimmune diseases such as inflammation of the connective tissue
(collagenoses) or multiple sclerosis
● suffer from conditions which reduce your immunity to infection such as HIV
● are on therapy which reduces your resistance to infection such as cancer drug
treatment or radiotherapy, history of organ or bone marrow transplant
● suffer from blood disorders involving the white blood cells count due to bone
marrow disorders (agranulocytosis) or leukaemia
● are taking immunosuppressant medicines such as ciclosporin or methotrexate
TAKE SPECIAL CARE with this product
● Do not exceed the stated dose
● If you are prone to allergies, there is a risk of developing serious allergic reactions
to Echinacea e.g. Anaphylactic reactions
● Taking Echinacea containing products may trigger autoimmune diseases
3. How to take this product
Adults, elderly and children over 12.
Take 1-2 capsules daily.
Swallow them whole with some water or other liquid. Start taking at the first sign of a
cold or flu. Do not take for longer than 10 days.
Do not give this product to children under 12 years old.
If you take too much of this product (overdose).
If you take more than the recommended dose, speak to a doctor, pharmacist or
qualified healthcare practitioner and take this leaflet with you.
If you forget to take this product.
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose. It doesn’t matter
if you miss a dose.
HEEC030 Echinacea PIL v102.indd 2
If you have any questions, or are unsure about anything, please ask your doctor,
pharmacist or qualified healthcare practitioner.
4. Possible side-effects
Like all medicines, this product can have side-effects, although not everyone
gets them. Stop taking the product and check with your doctor, pharmacist or
qualified healthcare practitioner if any of the following side-effects occur:
Allergic (hypersensitive) reactions such as:
● inflammatory disorder of the skin (Stevens-Johnson Syndrome)
● swelling of the skin due to fluid
● swelling of the facial area (Quincke’s oedema)
● shrinking of the airways in the lungs with obstruction (bronchospasm)
● asthma and life-threatening allergic reactions (anaphylactic shock)
Echinacea can trigger allergic reactions in patients who have a tendency to
develop allergic conditions.
Association with autoimmune diseases has been reported such as:
● inflammation of the brain and spinal cord (disseminated encephalitis)
● painful lumps on the shins (erythema nodosum)
● low blood platelet count (immunothrombocytopenia)
● destruction of blood cells by antibodies (Evans Syndrome)
● dryness in the mouth and eyes with renal tubular dysfunction (Sjögren Syndrome)
A decrease in the number of white blood cells (leucopenia) may occur in
long-term use (more than 8 weeks). The frequency is not known.
If any of these side-effects become troublesome, or if you notice side-effects
not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor, pharmacist or qualified
You must see your doctor or a qualified healthcare practitioner if your symptoms
worsen, if you experience a high fever or your symptoms persist after 10 days.
You can help to make medicines safer by reporting any side-effects to the
Yellow Card Scheme at www.yellowcard.gov.uk. Alternatively you can get a
paper Yellow Card form from your GP’s surgery or pharmacy, or call Freephone 0808
100 3352 (available 10am–2pm Monday – Friday).