POTTERS CLEANSING HERBS TEA
Active substance(s): FRANGULA BARK / SENNA LEAF TINNEVELLY
Take too much Potter’s Cleansing Herbs Tea or
for too long. This is because taking too much
for too long may lead to:
• A ‘lazy bowel’, where the muscle in the
bowel becomes too relaxed. This means
that bowel emptying happens less often.
This can lead to long-term constipation.
• Imbalance of fluids and salts in the body.
This can affect the tightness of muscles
such as those in the bowel. It can also
affect the salts in the blood.
• Low levels of potassium in the blood (called
‘hypo-kalaemia’). This can make you tired,
dizzy, make your muscles weak and cause
• Dehydration, making you thirsty, feel faint
and giving you headaches. It can also mean
you cannot pass enough urine.
If you forget to take Potter’s
Cleansing Herbs Tea:
If you miss a dose, take your next dose at the
usual time. Do not take two doses at the same
time to make up for a missed dose. Always
consult your doctor or pharmacist
if you need further advice.
• t he product may produce abdominal pain,
spasms and diarrhoea, in particular in
patients with irritable colon
• chronic use may lead to albuminuria and
haematuria which is albumin or red blood
cells in the urine
• chronic use may cause pigmentation of the
gastrointestinal tract which usually recedes
when the product is no longer taken
• yellow or red-brown discolouration of urine
may occur during the treatment, but is
• allergic reactions such as local or more
widespread skin rash, hives (skin bumps) or
itchiness around the anus. The frequency
of these effects is not known.
Making medicines safer:
Reporting of side effects: If you get any side
effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or
nurse. This includes any possible side effects
not listed in this leaflet. You can also report
side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme
By reporting side effects you can help provide
more information on the safety of this
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS:
Like all medicines this product can cause side
effects, but not everyone gets them.
If any of the following or other side
effects occur, stop taking this product
and consult your doctor or pharmacist:
5. HOW TO STORE POTTER’S
CLEANSING HERBS TEA:
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not use Potter’s Cleansing Herbs Tea after
the expiry date. The expiry date is printed on
the sachet and base of the carton.
Do not store above 25˚C. Store in the original
Return any unused medicine to your
pharmacist for safe disposal.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION:
Each sachet contains:
50%w/w Tinnevelly Senna Leaf (Cassia
8%w/w Frangula Bark (Rhamnus frangula L.).
This product also contains:
Elder Flower, Fennel Seed, Maté.
Potter’s Cleansing Herbs Tea is a brownish,
olive-green granular or coarse powder
mixture with yellow flecks and fibrous
filaments, available in sachets containing 50g.
Traditional Herbal Registration Holder
Potters, Wigan WN5 0JZ
Traditional Herbal Registration number:
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
SENNA LEAF & FRANGULA BARK
For further information,
call 01202 449752
If you would like a version of this leaflet
in an alternative format, please
call 01942 219960
Product code: CLE05LEA3
Leaflet last revised: 17/07/2015
PLEASE READ THESE
INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE
POT TER’S HERBAL REMEDIES SINCE 1812
This medicine is available without
prescription. However, you still need
to take Potter’s Cleansing Herbs Tea
carefully to get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more
information or advice.
• You must contact a doctor or a pharmacist
if your symptoms worsen or do not
• If you experience any of the side effects
listed in the leaflet, or if you notice any
other side effects, please consult your
doctor or pharmacist.
IN THIS LEAFLET:
1. What Potter’s Cleansing Herbs Tea
is and what it is used for
2. Before you take Potter’s Cleansing
3. How to take Potter’s Cleansing
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Potter’s Cleansing
6. Further information
1. WHAT POTTER’S CLEANSING HERBS
TEA IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR:
Potter’s Cleansing Herbs Tea is a traditional
herbal medicinal product used for the short
term relief of occasional constipation, based
on traditional use only.
Potters Cleansing Herbs Tea does not help
with weight loss.
Containing Senna Leaf & Frangula Bark.
For full details, see Section 6.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE POTTER’S
CLEANSING HERBS TEA:
Do not take Potter’s Cleansing
• if you are allergic to any of the ingredients
• if you have blockage or narrowing of the
gastro-intestinal tract or bowel (ileus,
intestinal obstruction or stenosis)
• if you have paralysis or a lack of muscle
tone in the bowel (atony)
• if you have appendicitis, inflammatory
bowel disease such as Crohn’s disease
or ulcerative colitis
• if you have severe dehydration
• if you have persistent or undiagnosed
abdominal complaints e.g. pain, nausea
• if you have faecal impaction or rectal
bleeding for which you don’t know the
cause, or blood in stools
• if you have already taken a laxative and
you are still constipated
• if you have had a sudden change in bowel
habit that has lasted for more than 2 weeks
• if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
• if you are under 18 years of age.
Consult your doctor, before taking
• if you suffer from kidney disorders
• if you are taking medicines for
a heart condition (e.g. Cardiac
glycosides, antiarrhythmic medicines
such as quinidine), medicines
inducing QT prolongation, diuretics,
adrenocorticosteroids or liquorice root
Taking other medicines:
You should consult your doctor or pharmacist
for advice if you are taking or have recently
taken any other medicines, including
medicines obtained without a prescription.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding:
You should not use Potter’s Cleansing Herbs
Tea if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
because there is no evidence that it is safe
to do so.
3. HOW TO TAKE POTTER’S CLEANSING
It is important that you follow these
For oral use.
Adults and the elderly:
Half a level teaspoonful in a cup of boiling
water at night when required. Allow to stand
for 15 minutes and make sure it is cool before
Normally it is sufficient to take this medicinal
product up to two to three times a week.
The use in children and adolescents
under 18 years is not recommended.
Do not exceed the stated dose.
Use for more than 1 - 2 weeks requires medical
Consult your doctor, after taking this
• if your symptoms worsen or persist
• if there is no bowel movement after 3 days
and laxatives are needed every day
• if abdominal pain persists.
If you take too much Potter’s
Cleansing Herbs Tea:
Stop taking the medicine and consult
your doctor or pharmacist.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.