Active substance(s): PHOLCODINE / PHOLCODINE / PHOLCODINE
5mg per 5ml
About This Product
Pholcodine Linctus BP 5mg per 5ml Oral Solution
is taken to relieve dry irritating coughs.
Liquid for oral use. Read the entire leaflet before
using this medicine.
Adults and children over 12 years: Take one or
two 5ml spoonfuls (5ml to 10ml) three to four
times per day.
Children from 6 to 12 years: Take half to one
5ml spoonful (2.5ml to 5ml) three to four times
Do not take more than 4 doses in 24 hours.
Not to be used for more than 5 days without
the advice of a doctor. Medical attention should
be sought if the child's condition deteriorates
Do not give to children under 6 years.
Do not take with any other cough and
Do not take more medicine than the
label tells you to.
For relief of dry irritating coughs
CAUTION:THIS MEDICINE MAY
CAUSE DROWSINESS, IF AFFECTED,
DO NOT DRIVE OR OPERATE
Manufacturer and Product Licence Holder:
Bell, Sons & Co (Druggists) Ltd,
Southport, PR9 9AL, England.
PEEL BACK AT RED TAB FOR FURTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION. DO NOT REMOVE.
Pholcodine 5mg per 5ml
Also contains: Sucrose, Ethanol, E123, E219
See further information section.
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not store above 25°C. Protect from sunlight.
Talk to your doctor before using this medicine
• Have kidney or liver problems.
• Have a history of asthma or any other breathing
problems including bronchitis.
• Have had a cough for a long time or a cough that
produces lots of phlegm.
• Have a history of drug abuse.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before use if
you are taking:
• Medicines used to treat high blood pressure e.g. ACE
inhibitors, beta blockers.
• Diuretics used to remove water from the body
• Medicines used to treat sleepiness, anxiety and
schizophrenia e.g. citalopram or haloperidol.
Do not use this medicine if you:
• Are allergic to any of the ingredients.
• Have liver disease.
• Have difficulty breathing, chronic lung
conditions or a chest infection that
produces lots of phlegm in the chest.
• Have an asthma attack.
• Are taking MAOI's (monoamine oxidase
inhibitors) for depression or within 14
days of stopping.
• If you are pregnant or breast-feeding
unless your doctor has told you to do so.
If used when breast-feeding small amounts
of the medicine will be present in your milk.
Bells Pholcodine Linctus
Received from Bells
• Medicines used to treat epilepsy e.g. sodium
• Medicines to treat sickness e.g. domperidone
• Medicines for cardiac rhythm disorders e.g. mexiletine.
• Medicines to treat reflux e.g. cisapride.
• Alcohol or tranquillisers.
• Strong pain killers e.g. morphine.
• Or if you are having surgery, as muscle relaxants
e.g. succinylcholine, may interact with this medicine.
If you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your
doctor before using this medicinal product. Contains 8g of
sucrose per 10ml. This should be taken into account in
patients with diabetes mellitus. This medicinal product
contains 6.6 vol% ethanol (alcohol), i.e. up to 526mg per
10ml, equivalent to 13.3ml of beer or 5.5ml of wine per
10ml. Harmful for those suffering from alcoholism. To be
taken into account in pregnant or breast-feeding women,
children and high risk groups such as patients with liver
disease or epilepsy. Contains E123 and E110 - may cause
Contains E219 - may cause allergic reactions (possibly
delayed). The use of pholcodine with alcohol or other CNS
depressants may increase the effects on the CNS and cause
toxicity in relatively small doses.
Side effects can include:
• Allergic reactions that cause swelling of the mouth,
lips, skin and rashes.
• Feeling excited or confused.
• Occasional drowsiness or dizziness.
• Feeling or being sick and constipation.
• Failure to cough up phlegm.
• Difficulty breathing (in overdose).
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side
effects not listed in this label. You can also report side
effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at
www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard. By reporting side effects
you can help provide more information on the safety of
Full Ingredients List
Pholcodine 5mg per 5ml, Sucrose, Ethanol, Glycerol
E422, Citric Acid E330, Amaranth E123, Sunset Yellow
E110, Sodium Methylhydroxybenzoate E219, Quinoline
Yellow E104 and Purified Water.
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.