PHENYLEPHRINE HCL 12.18MG TABLETS
Max Strength Decongestant Tablets
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start taking this medicine because it
contains important information for you.
• This medicine is available without a prescription; however you still need to use
(Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets carefully to get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
• You must see your doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not improve.
IN THIS LEAFLET:
1. What (Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets are and what they are used
2. Before you take (Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets
3. How to take (Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store (Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets
6. Contents of the pack and other information
1. WHAT (Customer) MAX STRENGTH DECONGESTANT TABLETS ARE AND WHAT
THEY ARE USED FOR
Phenylephrine hydrochloride is a nasal decongestant. It reduces the blood vessels in the
nose and sinuses which opens the nasal airways helping you to breathe more easily.
(Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets contain phenylephrine hydrochloride and
are used to relieve a stuffy or blocked nose caused by colds and hayfever.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE (Customer) MAX STRENGTH DECONGESTANT TABLETS
Do not take (Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets if you:
• are allergic to phenylephrine hydrochloride or any of the other ingredients listed in section
• have heart problems or high blood pressure (particularly due to a tumour near the kidney)
• have diabetes
• have prostate problems
• have glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye)
• have an overactive thyroid gland
• are taking Monoamine Oxidase inhibitor medicines (used for depression) or have taken
them within the last 14 days
• are pregnant or breast feeding.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking (Customer) Max Strength
Decongestant Tablets if you:
• have problems with your blood circulation (including Raynaud’s Phenomenon, which
makes the toes and fingers numb and pale).
If you are taking other medicines
You must not take these tablets if you are taking:
• Monoamine Oxidase inhibitor medicines (used for depression) or have taken them within
the last 14 days.
Talk to your pharmacist or doctor before you take the tablets if you are using any of the
• any heart medicines (especially digoxin)
• drugs for helping blood circulation and controlling angina (such as glycerol trinitrate)
• beta-blockers (e.g. atenolol)
• tricyclic antidepressants (e.g. amitriptyline)
• some antibiotics
• some epilepsy treatments
• other nasal decongestants.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding:
• Do not take (Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets if you are pregnant or
Important information about some of the ingredients
This medicine contains lactose. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an
intolerance to some sugars, consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
3. HOW TO TAKE (Customer) MAX STRENGTH DECONGESTANT TABLETS
Dose and how often to take
Adults, the elderly and children Take 1 tablet up to four times a day as required.
Swallow the tablet with a glass of water.
over 12 years
Leave at least 4 hours between doses.
Do not take more than 4 tablets in 24 hours.
If symptoms do not go away talk to your doctor.
Do not take for more than 7 days unless your doctor agrees.
Do not exceed the stated dose.
Do not give to children under 12 years.
If you take more (Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets than you should:
Talk to a doctor straight away, or go to your nearest hospital casualty department. Take the
carton and this leaflet with you.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, (Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets can cause side effects,
although not everybody gets them.
If you experience any of the following symptoms, or have any other unusual symptoms or
concerns with your medicine, stop taking the tablets and talk to your doctor or pharmacist:
• fast heart rate, changes in heart rhythm, palpitations (feeling your heartbeat), high
• feeling sick, vomiting
• men may have difficulty passing urine.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. This includes any
possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the
Yellow Card Scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this
5. HOW TO STORE (Customer) MAX STRENGTH DECONGESTANT TABLETS
Do not use after the expiry date which is stated on the carton.
Do not store above 25ºC. Store in the original container.
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not throw away any medicines via waste water or household waste. Ask your pharmacist
how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the
6. CONTENTS OF THE PACK AND OTHER INFORMATION
What (Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets contain:
The active ingredient is: Phenylephrine hydrochloride 12.2 mg in each tablet.
The other ingredients are: Lactose monohydrate, cellulose, magnesium stearate,
microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycolate, colloidal anhydrous silica, macrogol
4000, methacrylic acid-ethyl acrylate copolymer, talc, hypromellose, polysorbate 80.
Colourings are titanium dioxide (E171), azorubin (E122), ponceau 4R (E124), red lake
What (Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets look like and contents of the
(Customer) Max Strength Decongestant Tablets are round red film coated tablets.
This pack contains 12 or 24 tablets.
Marketing Authorisation Holder:
Galpharm Healthcare Ltd, Wrafton, Braunton, Devon, EX33 2DL, United Kingdom
Manufacturer: Galpharm International Limited, Elmhirst Park, Middle Field Road, Barnsley,
South Yorkshire, S75 4LS, United Kingdom.
This leaflet was last revised in 04/2016.
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.