PARASERTS 500MG SUPPOSITORIES
Active substance(s): PARACETAMOL
Paracetamol 500mg Suppositories
PIL - Patient Information Leaflet
265(W) x 360(H)
Do not use more suppositories than stated above.
This product is not suitable for use in children under 10 years of age.
Consult your doctor if your symptoms get worse or do not improve within 3 days.
PACKAGE LEAFLET: INFORMATION FOR THE USER
Paraserts 500mg Suppositories
Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription. However, you still need to use Paraserts 500mg Suppositories Paracetamol
carefully to get the best results from them.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- Ask your pharmacist if you need more information or advice.
- You must contact a doctor if symptoms worsen or do not improve after 3 days.
- If any of the listed side effects get serious, or if you notice any side effects which are not listed in this leaflet,
please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
- Your product is called Paraserts 500mg Suppositories Paracetamol but will be referred to as Paraserts throughout
In this leaflet:
1. What Paraserts are and what they are used for
2. Before you use Paraserts
3. How to use Paraserts
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Paraserts
6. Further information
How to use the suppositories:
• Your bowels need to be empty when you use this medicine. If you need to go to the toilet, make sure that you do it before
you use the suppository
• It may be easier to use the suppository if you are lying on your front or side on a bed
• Wash you hands. Then peel the wrapping apart to take out the suppository. Do not break the suppository before use
• Gently push the suppository into your back passage with the pointed end first. To make it easier to use the suppository
you may warm it slightly between your hands beforehand
• Try to keep still for a minute or two and then wash your hands
• If you need to give another suppository, then follow the above procedure again.
If you have used more Paraserts than you should:
• Immediate medical advice should be sought in the event of an overdose, even if you seem well, because of the risk of
delayed, serious liver damage.
If you have any further questions regarding the use of this medication, please ask your doctor or pharmacist.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
1. WHAT PARASERTS ARE AND WHAT THEY ARE USED FOR
Paraserts contain a medicine called paracetamol. This belongs to a group of medicines called pain-killers (analgesics).
A suppository is a small, torpedo-shaped, medicine which is inserted into the back passage (rectum). Paraserts are used to treat
pain and high temperature (fever) in adults and children over 10 years of age. They are used when it is difficult to take
paracetamol as tablets or syrup.
2. BEFORE YOU USE PARASERTS
Do not use Paraserts if:
• you are allergic (hypersensitive) to paracetamol, soya, peanuts or any of the other ingredients of Paracetamol
Suppositories (listed in Section 6 at the end of this leaflet).
Take special care with the use of Paraserts and talk to your pharmacist or doctor if:
• you have problems with your liver or kidneys.
Like all medicines, Paraserts can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Stop using Paraserts immediately and call your doctor if you notice you have any signs of allergic
Signs of an allergic reaction include a rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue.
The following side effects can happen with this medicine.
Common side effects (affects more than 1 in 100 people taking this medicine):
• Redness or soreness in and around the back passage.
Rare side effects (affects less than 1 in 1000 people taking this medicine):
• Blood problems. If these happen, you may bruise or bleed more easily than usual, be more susceptible to infections, or
get a high temperature (fever) and ulcers in the mouth and throat
• Liver problems. Symptoms may include jaundice (yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes).
If you get any of the side effects mentioned above, or get any side effect not mentioned in this leaflet, talk to your doctor or
5. HOW TO STORE PARASERTS
Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you take or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained
without a prescription and herbal medicines. This is because Paraserts can have an affect on the way some
medicines work and some medicines can have an affect on how Paraserts work.
In particular tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any of the following:
• Other medicines containing paracetamol – do not use your Paraserts at the same time
• Medicines to treat nausea (feeling sick) and vomiting (being sick), such as metoclopramide and domperidone
• Colestyramine, used to reduce the level of cholesterol (fat) in the blood
• Medicines called anticoagulants, such as warfarin, used for treating blood clots or “thinning the blood”
• Medicines called anticonvulsants used for treating epilepsy or fits (e.g. phenytoin, carbamazepine)
• The antibiotic rifampicin.
3. HOW TO USE PARASERTS
This medicine is for rectal use only. If your doctor or pharmacist has told you how to use this medicine, do exactly as they have
told you. Otherwise, follow the instructions below. If you do not understand the instructions, or are not sure, ask the doctor or
How many Paraserts to use:
Minimum Length of
time between doses
Maximum number of
suppositories in 24 hours
10 years to 12 years (body weight 30-40kg)
4 – 6 hours
Adults + Children over 12 years
1 or 2
4 – 6 hours
Keep out of reach and sight of children.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton and on the blister strip. The expiry date refers to the
last day of that month. Do not store over 30°C.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What Paraserts contains:
The active substance is paracetamol. Each suppository contains 500mg of paracetamol. The other ingredients are: hydrogenated
fat, soyabean lecithin.
What Paraserts look like and contents of the pack:
Cream coloured, torpedo shaped suppository, available in packs of 10 suppositories.
Marketing authorisation holder:
Amdeepcha Limited, 85 Yarmouth Road, Blofield, Norwich, Norfolk NR13 4LQ, UK.
Dr. R. Pfleger Chemische Fabrik GmbH, D-96045 Bamberg,
This package leaflet was last revised in December 2016