Active substance(s): BECLOMETASONE DIPROPIONATE
EAS1053b LEA BECLOMETASONE (NASOBEC) 50MCG SPRAY TUK
Package leaflet: Information for the user
Read all of this leaflet carefully because it contains
important information for you.
This medicine is available without prescription.
However, you still need to use Nasobec Hayfever
carefully to get the best results from it.
• Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
• Ask your pharmacist if you need more information
• You should not use Nasobec Hayfever for more than
3 months continuously without consulting a doctor.
• If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible
side effects not listed in this leaflet. See section 4.
• You must talk to your doctor if you do not feel
better or if you feel worse after 14 days.
What is in this leaflet:
1. What Nasobec Hayfever is and what it is used for
2. What you need to know before you use Nasobec
3. How to use Nasobec Hayfever
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Nasobec Hayfever
6. Contents of the pack and other information
What Nasobec Hayfever is and what it is
Nasobec Hayfever contains beclometasone
dipropionate, which is one of a group of medicines
called corticosteroids. Your medicine has
Nasobec Hayfever is used to treat and prevent the
symptoms of allergic reactions to pollens (hayfever),
such as itchy or runny nose and sneezing.
What you need to know before use
Using your nasal spray
5. Gently blow your nose.
6. Close one nostril by pressing your
finger against it and place the
nozzle of the spray in your other
nostril. Tilt your head slightly so
that the bottle is kept upright
7. Breathe in through your open nostril and, at the
same time, press the nozzle once with your
fingers to release the spray.
8. Breathe out through your mouth.
9. If you need to use a second spray, repeat steps 7
10. Repeat steps 6, 7, 8 and 9, with your other nostril.
After using your nasal spray
• Wipe the nozzle with a clean tissue and put the
dust cap back on.
Cleaning your nasal spray
• You should clean the pump at
least once a week to stop it from
getting blocked up. Gently press
upwards on the white collar to
pull the nozzle off (diagram D)
• Wash the nozzle and dust cap in
warm water. Put them in a warm
place to dry, but do not use too
much heat. Put the nozzle and dust cap back on.
If you use more Nasobec Hayfever than you should
It is important that you take your dose as stated on
the carton and in the “How to use” section of this
leaflet or as advised by your pharmacist. You should
not exceed the recommended dose; using more or
less may make your symptoms worse.
If you use more than 8 sprays in 24 hours, tell your
doctor or pharmacist immediately.
If you forget to use Nasobec Hayfever
If you forget to use your medicine at the right time,
use it as soon as you remember, and then carry on
as before. Never take two doses together to make
up for a forgotten dose.
If you stop using Nasobec Hayfever
Your symptoms may only start to improve after you
have been using your medicine for a few days,
therefore it is important that you use your medicine
regularly for full benefit. If your symptoms do not
improve after 7 days, consult your doctor before
you stop using this medicine.
How to use Nasobec Hayfever
27 September 2017
PANTONE® GREEN C
pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor
or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine
Driving and using machines
• Nasobec Hayfever is not likely to affect you being
able to drive or use any tools or machines.
Nasobec Hayfever contains benzalkonium chloride
• Nasobec Hayfever contains benzalkonium
chloride, which may cause problems with your
Always take this medicine exactly as described in
this leaflet or as your doctor has told you. Check
with your doctor if you are not sure,
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have watery or
itchy eyes. He or she may give you another medicine
to treat your eyes.
Always shake well before use. Only use in the nose.
Do not swallow.
Adults (including the elderly) aged 18 and over
The usual dose is either:
• 2 sprays into each nostril twice a day,
or if you prefer,
• 1 spray into each nostril 3 or 4 times a day.
Do not use more than eight sprays
(400 micrograms) in 24 hours.
You will only start to feel better after you have
been using your medicine for a few days.
Once your symptoms are under control you
should change your dosage to 1 spray into each
nostril twice a day.
It is very important to reduce your dose as soon
as your symptoms are under control.
If your symptoms then get worse, you should
increase your dosage back to the starting dose.
Do not use Nasobec Hayfever for more than 3
months continuously without consulting a doctor.
Do not use more than the recommended dose.
If you use high doses of Nasobec Hayfever
There are times when your doctor may need to
adjust the dose of the steroid you are given or the
way in which you take it. These times are:
• times of extreme stress
• during admission to hospital after a serious
accident, injury or illness
• before or after a surgical operation.
If you think that any of these apply to you whilst using
Nasobec Hayfever, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Use in children less than 18 years old
• Nasobec Hayfever is not recommended for use in
children less than 18 years old.
Before you use your nasal spray
1. If you are using your nasal
spray for the first time,
remove the clip (diagram A).
2. Shake the bottle gently and
then remove the dust cap.
3. Hold the bottle upright with
your thumb under the bottle
and your index finger and middle finger on either
side of the nozzle (diagram B).
4. To make sure your pump is
working, test spray it into the B
air before you use it for the
first time, and whenever you
have not used it for a week or
more. Hold the bottle away
from you and press down
until you can see a fine mist.
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
• a dry or painful nose or throat
• bad nose bleeds
• mild allergic reactions including skin rashes or
redness, itching or weals like nettle rash or hives
Rare (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
• Blurred vision
Very rare (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people)
• high pressure in your eye that may cause pain
or blurred vision
• clouding of the lens (cataract)
• damage to your nose
• the nose septum (the dividing partition in the
nose) may become perforated
The following side effects may occur:
• blood stained crusts in the nose
It is important to follow the dose instructions shown
in Section 3. Using Nasobec Hayfever at higher doses
or for longer than 3 months at a time can cause a
number of changes in your body, such as catching
infections more easily.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor,
pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side
effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report
side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at:
By reporting side effects you can help provide more
information on the safety of this medicine.
How to store Nasobec Hayfever
Keep out of the sight and reach of children.
Keep your medicine below 30°C in the original carton
away from light. Do not put your medicine in the fridge.
Do not use Nasobec Hayfever after it has been open
for 3 months or after the expiry date that is stated
on the outer packaging, whichever is sooner. The
expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater
or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to
dispose of medicines you no longer use. These
measures will help protect the environment.
Contents of the pack and other information
What Nasobec Hayfever contains:
• The active ingredient is beclometasone
• The other ingredients are phenylethyl alcohol,
benzalkonium chloride, polysorbate 80,
Possible side effects
microcrystalline cellulose and carmellose sodium,
glucose anhydrous and purified water. Your medicine
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side
may also contain hydrochloric acid to adjust the pH.
effects, although not everybody gets them.
Allergic reactions: get a doctor’s help straight away What Nasobec Hayfever looks like and contents of
A small number of people get allergic reactions to
• Nasobec Hayfever is a nasal spray.
Nasobec Hayfever, which can develop into a more
• Nasobec Hayfever is supplied in polyethylene
serious, even life-threatening problem if not
bottles in two pack sizes:
treated. Symptoms include;
• 15 ml bottle containing 100 sprays.
• becoming very wheezy or having difficulty with
• 30 ml bottle containing 180 sprays.
Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
• swelling around the face or throat
If this happens, tell your doctor straight away – you Marketing Authorisation Holder and Manufacturer
Marketing authorisation holder: Teva UK Limited,
may need urgent medical treatment.
Eastbourne, BN22 9AG
Immediately after you use your spray
Company responsible for manufacture: TEVA Czech
• you may sneeze a little, but this soon stops
Industries s.r.o., Opava, Czech Republic
• very occasionally you may find you get an
This leaflet was last revised in September 2017
unpleasant taste or smell.
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice
any of the following side effects:
Page 1 of 2
Do not use Nasobec Hayfever if you:
• are allergic (hypersensitive) to beclometasone
dipropionate or any of the other ingredients of
this medicine (listed in section 6).
• if you are under 18 years.
Warnings and precautions
• Talk to your doctor of pharmacist before using
Nasobec Hayfever if you have an infection or
ulcers in your nose, or you have recently had
surgery or an injury to your nose
• If your symptoms do not improve within
14 days, talk to your doctor or pharmacist
• Do not use for more than 3 months without
consulting your doctor.
• Contact your doctor if you experience blurred
vision or other visual disturbances
Other medicines and Nasobec Hayfever
• Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are
taking or have recently taken any other medicines,
including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Some medicines may increase the effects of Nasobec
Hayfever and your doctor may wish to monitor you
carefully if you are taking these medicines (including
some medicines for HIV: ritonavir, cobicistat).
Nasobec Hayfever with food and drink
You can use Nasobec Hayfever at any time of day,
with or without food.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be
Source: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency