MINIMS OXYBUPROCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE 0.4%W/V
Active substance(s): OXYBUPROCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE
Minims® Oxybuprocaine Hydrochloride 0.4% w/v
Eye Drops, solution
Read all this leaflet carefully before you start using your medicine. It contains a summary of the information
available on your medicine. If you have any questions or are not sure about anything, ask your doctor
or pharmacist. Remember this medicine is for you. Do not give it to someone else.
In this leaflet:
What Minims® Oxybuprocaine Hydrochloride eye drops are and what they are used for
Before you use your eye drops
How to use your eye drops
Possible side effects
How to store your eye drops
1. What Minims® Oxybuprocaine Hydrochloride eye drops are and what they are used for
Minims® Oxybuprocaine Hydrochloride contains an anaesthetic. It is used to numb the surface of the eye temporarily.
Your doctor or eye specialist will use it:
• to examine your eye without it being painful,
• to measure the pressure inside your eye,
• to perform minor operations such as the removal of stitches and foreign bodies,
• for the fitting of contact lenses.
This medicine is indicated for children, adults and the elderly.
2. Before you use your eye drops
Do not use these drops if
• you are allergic to the active substance (oxybuprocaine hydrochloride) or any of the other ingredients (refer
to the end of this leaflet).
• you are using at the same time as Minims® Oxybuprocaine Hydrochloride other eye drops containing
chlorhexidine acetate as a preservative.
Take special care
• If you have had an allergic reaction to other local anaesthetics in the past. Inform your doctor or eye specialist.
• When your eye has been numbed it is important not to rub it and to keep it free of dust and bacterial
contamination. Your doctor or eye specialist will make sure that your eye is properly protected.
• If you have an inflamed eye, as red eyes greatly increase the passage into the blood stream through the
surface of the eyes.
Your eye drops are not intended for long term use. Frequent use of local anaesthetic in the eye over long
periods of time may severely affect your eyesight.
If you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or are breastfeeding
Tell your doctor or eye specialist, he/she may decide to use these drops or to prescribe you an alternative.
Your doctor will ask you to remove your contact lenses prior to the administration of the drops. There is no
information on the effect of this product on contact lenses. Therefore, do not wear your contact lenses until the
effects of the drops have completely worn off.
Driving and using machines
As with all eye drops, your vision may be blurred after putting the drops in. Wait until your vision is clear
before driving or using machines.
3. How to use your eye drops
The drops are in special single use “Minims” units, to treat both eyes if necessary.
Once opened, use immediately. Discard any unused portion.
The amount of anaesthetic used will vary, depending on the procedure decided by your doctor or eye specialist:
• One drop of solution is enough to allow your doctor or eye specialist to measure the pressure inside your eye.
• Two drops, one and a half minutes apart is enough to allow contact lenses to be fitted.
• Three drops at one and a half minute intervals is enough to allow minor operations to be performed.
Method of administration
The doctor or eye specialist will put the drops in your eye for you. You may be asked to press on the inner
corners of your eyelid for 3 minutes. This will help stop the solution draining into your nose and throat. This is
especially advisable in children, the elderly and population at risk.
Your eye will remain numb for about one hour, depending on how many drops you received. Avoid touching
the eye until the anaesthetic has worn off.
If you have other eye drops to instill, you should wait at least 15 minutes before administering them.
If you use more Minims® Oxybuprocaine Hydrochloride than you should, an overdose is very unlikely to
occur. If you suddenly feel unwell after receiving the drops, tell your doctor or eye specialist or contact your
nearest emergency department immediately.
4. Possible side effects
• Minims® Oxybuprocaine Hydrochloride may sting when the drops are first put in and your vision may
become blurred. This will gradually wear off. Minims® Oxybuprocaine Hydrochloride does not usually
cause side effects, but allergic reactions have occasionally occurred. The symptoms of an allergic reaction
are redness, swelling and itching of the eyes.
• Toxic effects can affect the cornea (the transparent membrane covering the iris and pupil of the eye),
causing intense discomfort, pain, redness, sensitivity to light or loss of visual acuity.
If any of the side effects gets serious, please seek immediate medical attention. If you notice any side effects
not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
5. How to store your eye drops
Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
Do not use the eye drops after the expiry date which is stated on the overwrap of each unit and on the carton
after the letters “EXP”. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
Do not store above 25°C. Do not freeze. Store in the original package to protect from light.
The drops are in special single use “Minims” units, to treat both eyes if necessary. Once opened, use
immediately. Discard any unused portion.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose
of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. Further information
What do your eye drops contain
• The active ingredient oxybuprocaine hydrochloride. Each unit contains approximately 0.5 ml eye drops
solution of oxybuprocaine hydrochloride 0.4% w/v (2 mg).
• The other ingredients are hydrochloric acid (for pH adjustment) and purified water.
This medicine does not contain a preservative as it is a sterile single use unit.
Contents of the pack
Each carton contains 20 units.
Marketing Authorisation Holder
Bausch & Lomb UK Ltd.
106 London Road - Kingston-upon-Thames - KT2 6TN - UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 8781 2900 / Fax: +44 (0)20 8781 2901
Laboratoire Chauvin - Z.I.Ripotier - 07200 Aubenas - France
Marketing Authorisation Number:
Minims® Oxybuprocaine Hydrochloride 0.4% w/v :
PL 03468/0053 (UK) ; PA 555/20/1 (Ireland)
DATE OF PREPARATION: August 2014